30" Red Brick Decor

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Munroco said:
I'm not sure what SW and FW are but I collected the bricks at Westhaven, which is between Carnoustie and Arbroath. (East Coast of Scotland for those not familiar with these places) I've been keeping an eye on parameters. These things look to have been in the sea for years. I expect them too leach a little but nothing excessive (I hope). I probably needed them to bump up my GH and KH.

FW being Freshwater and SW being Saltwater.

What I meant was in what area did you find these bricks in but you have just answered that anyway. I am just a little concerend that these bricks may have absorbed some salt or pathogens over the years of being in seawater.

And shrimps do not like salt.

So hopefully, these bricks are totally inert and have not absorbed anything at all or at worst just a trace amount that will not do any harm at all.

Like I say, keep a close eye on the water stats as bricks tend to be made of fairly soft materials and may break up being in water 24/7.

I would always be very cautious about putting in wood, decor or stones from the sea into a freshwater tank.

Am probably being far too cautious here and being a little too pernickity.

Anyway, crystal shrimps are real nice and I wish my water was suitable for these guys. A little more info on these cute guys - http://www.planetinverts.com/Crystal%20Red%20Shrimp.html

Good luck :)

Some of the inhabitants, have had them a week and a half now. I had a fair bit of diatomous (sp?) algae which they seem to like and I dropped in and indian almond leaf. So far I haven't fed them apart from an algae wafer which they ignored. I got 10 and a bonus tiny one.

DSC_0090.jpg

They usually hang about on the rocks, this is the first time I've seen more than two together on the bogwood.

Haven't updated this for a while. Nothing much happened for a while, but since October I've had a population explosion. I think there have been 4 or 5 loads of shrimplets arrived within the last 6 weeks. I spend hours looking for them as they are tiny. The most I've seen at one time is 18 but I reckon there are dozens in there as I keep spotting different ones. There are all sorts of colour combinations. I'd say around 60% are red and white, 25% black and white and 15% either black and blue or wine red. I have a few shadow pandas (my favourites) at least one blue bolt and some that I don't know what to call. This little guy is my favourite. I called him Frank as he seems to have blue eyes. He's only about 1/4 of an inch long so its not the clearest of pics. I'm so pleased I decided to go with shrimp.

Attachments

• Frank.jpg
    Frank.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 168
I really like the lay out of this tank. I liked the way it looked with out the plants along the bottom. Once they fill it should look good.

Oh shrimp are great. I miss mine.

Most reactions

trending

Back