30 Plecos Under 8 Inches

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Do I know the difference between L144 and L144a? Is one short and one long fin? I would like a long fin but want to make sure that’s what I get.
Yeah I was looking at long and short fin. My only query was would some fish try to nip the longfin? So maybe I need to consider the community.

Yeah I was looking at long and short fin. My only query was would some fish try to nip the longfin? So maybe I need to consider the community.
I would think yes, I read a few places not to put them with fin nippers, so just ensure passive community. What do you have already in the tank?

I would think yes, I read a few places not to put them with fin nippers, so just ensure passive community. What do you have already in the tank?
Nothing :rofl: the tank arrives next week. I was thinking of putting Forktail blue-eyed Rainbowfish & male Endlers. Both small chilled fish. It's 36" x 18" x 22" (L x W x H) and 34G/127L. I would love if that's big enough for an L144/L144a & an L129 Columbian Zebra Pleco (Max size 3").

Nothing :rofl: the tank arrives next week. I was thinking of putting Forktail blue-eyed Rainbowfish & male Endlers. Both small chilled fish. It's 36" x 18" x 22" (L x W x H) and 34G/127L. I would love if that's big enough for an L144/L144a & an L129 Columbian Zebra Pleco (Max size 3").
Pitbull? 2”.
Im actually interested in a pr of these. I had no idea Pleco this size existed. Asian Stone Catfish were possibilities but apparently I’d never see them as they’re seriously reclusive. So much so that most pairs are known as Howard n Greta.*

* one for the kids there.

Last edited:
Lol me either, I’m sitting here looking at an empty tank with all these ideas floating around in my head! I’ve been asking for stocking advice myself so I leave for someone who has experience! There is an aquarium stocking calculator online www.aqadviser.com not sure how accurate but might give you an idea.

If when u search for your fish the exact one doesn’t come up just select another the same adult length.

Anybody know of a place that is selling L188a Chaetostoma thomasi (The Thomasi pleco) I had one for 3 years and he just died, no idea what happened - you never saw him except at night and when I did a waterchange and would remove whatever cave he was living in. Very gentle and pretty friendly. I originally purchased 3 and 2 immediately died of no obvious causes (he was partially eaten so since I had just moved some Rainbow fish into that tank I think one of them did it - before that he lived quite peacefully with my Gorami and other Pleco but there is something about these Rainbow fish that I just don't like or find attractive. They used to live with my giant 1 ft Dojo Loaches but it was crowded so I temporarily moved the Rainbow fish in with the Gourami and they all hated each other at first - it's since settled down.

L397 -> Redstripe pleco approx 4.3 inches. Similar to my fav L204 flash pleco (mentioned on first page);

Btw it would be great if someone could update the first post with all the additions in this thread....

Im looking at getting a blue phantom pleco L128 which apparently has max size of 7inch. The green phantom pleco as well as is basically the same just different colour and they give it a different L number not sure what it is though

Im looking at getting a blue phantom pleco L128 which apparently has max size of 7inch. The green phantom pleco as well as is basically the same just different colour and they give it a different L number not sure what it is though
They are not similar; the L128 (which i have) is quite lovely; but the L200 (green phantom) is a wee bit smaller and ugly as sin. Another nice pleco is Ancistirus Wabenmuster; they are quite lovely - at least the ones i have (they do not have an L number). Sadly someone is eating the leaves on my buce... so there is that to consider.

They are not similar; the L128 (which i have) is quite lovely; but the L200 (green phantom) is a wee bit smaller and ugly as sin. Another nice pleco is Ancistirus Wabenmuster; they are quite lovely - at least the ones i have (they do not have an L number). Sadly someone is eating the leaves on my buce... so there is that to consider.
Apologies if the info was incorrect, I read it on a site (not sure which) and it just said that there was so little difference apart from the colour which could've been because of the fact that they come from different parts of the same river so different water parameters could account for the change in colour as apparently they can lose some of their colour when introduced to a new environment. Again sorry if this is incorrect, just what I read. It is a beautiful looking fish though which is why it caught my eye. So you don't think ill have a problem with 2 of them in a 60g then?

Apologies if the info was incorrect, I read it on a site (not sure which) and it just said that there was so little difference apart from the colour which could've been because of the fact that they come from different parts of the same river so different water parameters could account for the change in colour as apparently they can lose some of their colour when introduced to a new environment. Again sorry if this is incorrect, just what I read. It is a beautiful looking fish though which is why it caught my eye. So you don't think ill have a problem with 2 of them in a 60g then?
When someone sez a fish is different simply because it is a different colour that should raise a red flag. Anyway one of the best sites for info on various catfishes include pleco is planetcatfish.com:
and
--
Probably the major difference is that L128 come from a warmer region; is more delicate; has less of a requirement for strong current (not sure this is strictly true); and is a bit larger but otherwise they are closely related in that they come from the same family.

Truth be told broadly speaking many pleco are similar. There are those that eat more veggie than meat; and those that eat more meat than veggie; those that like or require strong current and those that are more content without such; those that are much more territorial and those that are more passive and of course those that are more likely to play during the day and those that are strictly nocturnal. I suppose there are other differences and frequently planetcatfish will include info about one species that is relevant to another but neglect to include those additional details.
-
One should not under-estimate the aggression level of a territorial pleco (btw males are far more aggressive than males in most cases.
--
As to your question; as long as the water is clean, warm, decent current and well laid out with appropriate boundaries 2 should be fine in a 60g.

Why is it that all the small plecos are not effective algae eaters except the pitbull, bristlenose, and butterfly?
This is a great thread, but for newcomers, don't just base your choices on size and expect the fish to all have the same needs because they are "plecos". We can take the Hong Kong/hillstream pleco as a warning, since it's a loach with a dumb marketing name, and mistrust the easy info. If you are into Loracarids for your tank, don't buy without research! Look each one up for its dietary and territorial needs, it's water flow needs, its relationship to wood, etc. Don't go looking for an algae eater. Go looking for a really cool creature you need to learn about.

When someone sez a fish is different simply because it is a different colour that should raise a red flag. Anyway one of the best sites for info on various catfishes include pleco is planetcatfish.com:
and
--
Probably the major difference is that L128 come from a warmer region; is more delicate; has less of a requirement for strong current (not sure this is strictly true); and is a bit larger but otherwise they are closely related in that they come from the same family.

Truth be told broadly speaking many pleco are similar. There are those that eat more veggie than meat; and those that eat more meat than veggie; those that like or require strong current and those that are more content without such; those that are much more territorial and those that are more passive and of course those that are more likely to play during the day and those that are strictly nocturnal. I suppose there are other differences and frequently planetcatfish will include info about one species that is relevant to another but neglect to include those additional details.
-
One should not under-estimate the aggression level of a territorial pleco (btw males are far more aggressive than males in most cases.
--
As to your question; as long as the water is clean, warm, decent current and well laid out with appropriate boundaries 2 should be fine in a 60g.
Would the territory factor be an issue if there was 1x male and 1x female?

This is a great thread, but for newcomers, don't just base your choices on size and expect the fish to all have the same needs because they are "plecos". We can take the Hong Kong/hillstream pleco as a warning, since it's a loach with a dumb marketing name, and mistrust the easy info. If you are into Loracarids for your tank, don't buy without research! Look each one up for its dietary and territorial needs, it's water flow needs, its relationship to wood, etc. Don't go looking for an algae eater. Go looking for a really cool creature you need to learn about.
I understand what you're saying, I rushed into things and learnt some valuable lessons. Im not going to be adding anymore stock until I've had the tank with stable conditions for another couple of months so will give me plenty of time for more research but the size of the fish has to be a starting point as I dont want to take something on I wont be able to give a proper home to

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back