30 Plecos Under 8 Inches

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
L260 Queen arabesque 5"

Do you have a link to back that up? Every resource I've read says no more than 4" (including planet catfish.)
Just looking for conformation; if there is wrong info. i'd like to ammend it asap.

Sorry no link but I have kept and sucessfully breed these for nearly 10 year if thats any good!

Yeah, no problem. I'll ammend things. I'm all for keeping this list as accurate as possible, and I definetly don't doubt your position, I just wanted a link just incase anyone complained about it. Thanks for the input! :)

brilliant, thanks
have printed that out for future reference.
I bought a gibbicepts without realising how big they can get he's still small and i wouldn't change him now :wub: but it would have been better to find out more first.
DD

Huh... I didn't even noticed this topic until now and I was seraching for days.

Thanks
this is a really useful list.
Could anyone tell me though if the green pleco L200 is the same as what in my lfs is called a green ghost pleco? It looked beautiful but I don't have room for anything too big.
DD

If this list's measurements are correct then I might get 2 King Stripes as I like them. when i looked on tropicalfish4u it says that they reach max 30cm (12inches). On there they also have a few more from this list that they say reach these lengths.

Reason for looking is that I have 2 common pleccys at 8" at the moment and I am told they are going to grow further and be too big for my tank so I will be trying to find them a new home and then obviously replacing them. Are Clown Sucker Pleccy and Common the same fish? They look the same to me!!.

Do King Stripes clean the algae like the common does? What other dietary requirements does it have?

Any advice welcomed.

Andy :blink:

If this list's measurements are correct then I might get 2 King Stripes as I like them. when i looked on tropicalfish4u it says that they reach max 30cm (12inches). On there they also have a few more from this list that they say reach these lengths.

Reason for looking is that I have 2 common pleccys at 8" at the moment and I am told they are going to grow further and be too big for my tank so I will be trying to find them a new home and then obviously replacing them. Are Clown Sucker Pleccy and Common the same fish? They look the same to me!!.

Do King Stripes clean the algae like the common does? What other dietary requirements does it have?

Any advice welcomed.

Andy :blink:

My advice would be to ignore the details (that names and sizes) that tropicalfish4u has listed - Members here have tried to bring it to their attention but they have not corrected their data...

If I remember rightly the Clown Sucker plec is their fancy invented name for a common plec - 12-18" of fast growing monster.

they also have a Leopard Plec listed that is actually not what others refer to as a Leopard Plec (L001) and is inface a Sailfin with possible 18-24" adult size.

Gold Nugget Plecos grow to be about 7", yes? :D

I don't believe I saw them on the list, but it's late and I'm tired, so forgive me if they are on there somewhere.

Gold Nugget Plecos grow to be about 7", yes? :D

I don't believe I saw them on the list, but it's late and I'm tired, so forgive me if they are on there somewhere.

There are 3 commonly available Golden Nugget's - they are not easily distinguished and unfortunately only one of the 3 stays at that size - the other get to around 16". unfortunately fish shops will label them up as the smaller ones to shift them - not necessarily knowing (or caring) if they will get huge

What about the rubbernose pleco? At least, that's what Petsmart told me it was. They insisted that he'd only get 6". So far he hasn't really grown. He's so ugly he's almost cute...reminds me of a toad. I really love those Zebra plecos like smith has on his avatar, but everyplace I look charges almost $300USD for them! Actually, it seems that all of the really nice, smaller plecos are extremely expensive. Anyone have any suggestions?

Oh, and pics of my pleco for ID...
tropicalfish-pleco1.JPG

tropicalfish-pleco2.JPG

Rubbernose or Bulldog plecs will generally nto grow to their full 6" in thew aquairum. I have one and hardly see him, be he is nice.

And as for True Zebra's unless your are experienced and are going to breed them stay away as they are very rare (hence the high price tags). I hopefully will one day breed them, but thats not for a long time yet :)

Good luck with the hunt for a god plec.

I'll second the Rubbernose/Bulldog pleco. I did a search on fishbase.org for Chaetostoma sp., and the two that seem to show up in fish stores most frequently (C. milesi and C. thomsoni - the one pictured in mbbowman's post) stay under 6 and 4" respectively. A quick survey of all Chaetostoma species shows that most of them stay under 8", but some of them get larger.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back