FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bluesword23516

Fish Addict
Reaction score
December 1st 2013

This isn't the first time I have done a journal,  but it is the first time I have typed it. 

I have always loved fish! Salt Water is pretty, but what really makes me happy is freshwater.  Although most fish found in fresh water are not bright and colorful, they have a different kind of beauty.  They are usually more exposed to humans and other predators.  

Back a few years ago I received a few guppies from a teacher at my school.  One was an adult female, one juvenile male, and four fry.  These soon grew up and became my passion.  They have bred and had their own offspring, now it has been a few years and they have gotten sick.  But before they became sick, two females dropped fry.  I have 5 fry, at least one from female and 3-4 from the other.  With them I hope to crossbreed my mollies and guppies.  In the meantime I want to buy a different breed of molly (I currently have two balloon molly females, the male is sick and in a different tank) hopefully they will crossbreed and create a crossbreed that will be able to live a long life.  Crossbreeds of animals that are of the same species but different strains are usually healthier.  

I will do my best to provide updates and possibly pictures! 
59.gif

I would be worries about the amount of sick fish you seem to have :/

Even balloon mollies, with their deformities, should be able to live a long life.

Why on earth do you want to hybridise mollies and guppies?

welcomeani.gif
 to TFF

Sounds interesting but unusual though.

I want to because it is cool. Depending on what breeds of mollies and guppy coloration you have it turns out different every time.  The offspring are said to be sterile so no inbreeding (which I have never allowed for my fish) will occur, and they have been said to live the same amount as other livebearers.
The sickness is because of pet shops not taking care of fish.  It was the male guppy that started it, but they are in their own tank and will live as long as the illness allows them to. I love my fish very much, but it is a worm so there isn't a cure  :,(
Also my balloon mollies have no deformities, but I like mixed animals.  Everyone likes the 'purebreds' but I want something different.  
happy.png

Found tiny fry in my sick tank.  My female is giving birth before she dies.  She is close to death, she is very sluggish and doesn't have a lot of control of her body.  Lots of fry.  They are very small and I am surprised they are alive.  1- she has a parasite, so she has been getting thin because the parasite eats the nutrients from food 2- she tend to have very long pregnancies.  About 2 months, it has only been under one month since her last batch, so they are very small. 

Camalanus worms. I can't do anything about it. I don't have $40 to spend on pig dewormer. So I just have to start over... Again

A shame this has happened, you probably already know or read these links about Camalanus worms.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/6585-cotton-mouth/

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/384025-cottonmouth-its-killing-them/

You will need to clean the entire tank as Camalanus worms lays eggs everywhere, gravel, plants, decor and filter etc so all of that need to be cleaned before restocking otherwise new stocking will pick up or eat the eggs and you'll have another outbreak of Camalanus worms.

A real annoying disease to have am afraid as you've found out the hard way! 
confused.gif

Substrate is your gravel/sand on bottom of tank.

I have to apologise for my last post, I realise I linked you to the wrong sites after misspelling Camalanus Worms. Do disregard these links as these are for Columnaris otherwise known as cottonmouth. Apologies.

Instead have heard that Levamisole (as you say is basically dewormer) is good for treating Camalanus Worms.

Could I just wash it well? I have the stuff to clean it well (what I did when I first bought it)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back