30 Gallon Tank, Fish Needed...but What Fish?

SableCK

Reaction score
Hi, im starting a 30 gallon tank with a tetra whisper ex70 filtration system, i have all decorations i want in it and i have a couple goldfish in it cycling, now its almost time to put other fish in it. im thinking of 6 neon tetras and three cory cats, possibly a pleco if theres room.

Im hearing things from my friends that that is way too many fish for one 30 gallon tank and they are saying to get at least 50 gallons, any thoughts cause i dont really want to spend more money if i dont have to.

Let me just get the main points out with out getting too complicated here. Well... First of all, are you planning on keeping the goldfish? If so, you definitely will not be able to keep any other fish in there along with them. Two reasons:

1.) Tetras, corys, and a pleco are all tropical. Goldfish are cold water. If you kept goldfish in warmer water, they will be way more venerable to disease. :/
2.) In a 30 gallon, you would only be able to keep 2 or 3 goldfish in there comfortably.

Let me just get the main points out with out getting too complicated here. Well... First of all, are you planning on keeping the goldfish? If so, you definitely will not be able to keep any other fish in there along with them. Two reasons:

1.) Tetras, corys, and a pleco are all tropical. Goldfish are cold water. If you kept goldfish in warmer water, they will be way more venerable to disease. :/
2.) In a 30 gallon, you would only be able to keep 2 or 3 goldfish in there comfortably.
No, the goldfish arnt staying and the heater has not been on while they were cycling it, so do you think a 30 gallon will be enough for the fish i mentioned?

Oh alright. Yeah you should be fine in my opinion! You could even add more if you wanted to. I would take out the pleco though, they can get to be about 12inches in time...try substituting with a different bottom feeder (well, it depends on what species of pleco really).

I do think it's a bit interesting you chose to cycle with goldfish though, you probably should have used the classic danio. Because goldfish aren't all that great for cycling..

Oh alright. Yeah you should be fine in my opinion! You could even add more if you wanted to. I would take out the pleco though, they can get to be about 12inches in time...try substituting with a different bottom feeder (well, it depends on what species of pleco really).

I do think it's a bit interesting you chose to cycle with goldfish though, you probably should have used the classic danio. Because goldfish aren't all that great for cycling..
My cousin offered the goldfish for the cycling process, and im the kind of guy to save as much money as possible. Thanks for the input.

Actually, it is frowned upon to use a fish purely for cycling. Neither goldfish nor danio should be suggested

Cycling means you are exposing the fish to high and toxic levels of ammonia. Buying fish for this means you are poisoning them purposely.

Your best bet would be to research on "fish-less" cycling. It is more humane and gets you many steps closer to being a better fish keeper :good:

"fish-in" cycling, which you are doing now, is usually in the cases where people buy a fish BEFORE they know about the cycling process and are then stuck with said fish. It is often recommended that these people rehome/return their fish due to the unhealthy living conditions of the uncycled tank.

A goldfish is no different than the cories you plan on keeping - it deserves great care with a caring owner.

Actually, it is frowned upon to use a fish purely for cycling. Neither goldfish nor danio should be suggested

Cycling means you are exposing the fish to high and toxic levels of ammonia. Buying fish for this means you are poisoning them purposely.

Your best bet would be to research on "fish-less" cycling. It is more humane and gets you many steps closer to being a better fish keeper :good:

"fish-in" cycling, which you are doing now, is usually in the cases where people buy a fish BEFORE they know about the cycling process and are then stuck with said fish. It is often recommended that these people rehome/return their fish due to the unhealthy living conditions of the uncycled tank.

A goldfish is no different than the cories you plan on keeping - it deserves great care with a caring owner.
To each his own. Personally Ive never had a fish die or even get sick on me while cycling. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, such is the nature of the internet and I will take your words into consideration.

Planted fish-in cycle is the way forward!

Get a bristlenose plec as they only grow to 5inch
http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Catfish,%20Plecoctomus,%20Bristlenose.htm

Most reactions

trending

Back