3 year old fish with dropsy.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Crunchycrouton

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 3 year old guppy/molly cross (when I asked for two female guppies they scooped up him... he was in a female tank somehow) and heā€™s been a over all healthy fish. But today I noticed his scaled pine coned. Heā€™s still active, and he ate today. I know that there is no ā€œcureā€ for dropsy and that worries me. I want to do whatā€™s best for him, anyone recommend anything? Treatments?

Attachments

• 0B4C50C3-EEA2-48BE-B2DD-1AD1D1EB85B8.png
    0B4C50C3-EEA2-48BE-B2DD-1AD1D1EB85B8.png
    375.5 KB · Views: 53
  • B61E5037-0871-436A-959D-9A5B7511D22F.png
    B61E5037-0871-436A-959D-9A5B7511D22F.png
    374.4 KB · Views: 54
  • EA224233-66AB-4B57-9F4D-01B95A531328.png
    EA224233-66AB-4B57-9F4D-01B95A531328.png
    448.5 KB · Views: 55
I'm sure.Colin will chime in with his long.post on using aquarium salt soon, and it is quite thorough so I will let him handle that.

Dropsy is usually fatal, but, not a 100% death sentence. You should immediately stop feeding the tank for now. Check water params. Make sure you don't have something going on. Melafix and Pimafix are natural antibacterial and antifungal treatments that while they won't hurt anything, they may or may not help. There are a lot of reasons these critters get dropsy. It is usually something being added to the tank.

What do you feed the fish?

I'm sure.Colin will chime in with his long.post on using aquarium salt soon, and it is quite thorough so I will let him handle that.

Dropsy is usually fatal, but, not a 100% death sentence. You should immediately stop feeding the tank for now. Check water params. Make sure you don't have something going on. Melafix and Pimafix are natural antibacterial and antifungal treatments that while they won't hurt anything, they may or may not help. There are a lot of reasons these critters get dropsy. It is usually something being added to the tank.

What do you feed the fish?
I feed the fish bloodworms, brine shrimp, peeled steamed peas here and there, and tropical flakes. I will be putting the fish in a hospital tank where I will medicate him.. I'm going to do 25-50 percent water changed on the community tank he was housed in, I'm pretty sure there was a nitrate spike.. everyone else is fine, my angel fish didn't die, but I did notice some of them were stressed before I did a water change. Its probably because I skipped last weeks water change, I broke my elbow and wrist. I feel so bad for the fish. :(

I feed the fish bloodworms, brine shrimp, peeled steamed peas here and there, and tropical flakes. I will be putting the fish in a hospital tank where I will medicate him.. I'm going to do 25-50 percent water changed on the community tank he was housed in, I'm pretty sure there was a nitrate spike.. everyone else is fine, my angel fish didn't die, but I did notice some of them were stressed before I did a water change. Its probably because I skipped last weeks water change, I broke my elbow and wrist. I feel so bad for the fish. :(
So sorry about your elbow and wrist, I hope that there's someone that can help you with the fish tank. Try to do a large water change and gravel clean on the main tank to prevent the spread of disease. @Colin_T Is the superhero of fish disease, he should be able to help.

Last edited:
not when it comes to dropsy. I just euthanise the fish and wash hands with warm soapy water afterwards because there is virtually no chance of it surviving at this point.

so so sad. I'll be getting clove oil today.
I'm sorry about your fish :(

This video taught me how to euthanise with clove oil

Key is to mix it with some warm water first, shake it up well, then add it gradually, so the fish falls asleep, before overdosing the oil to put him down.

I'm very sorry for your loss

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back