3 Questions: Fish Suggestions, Tiger Barbs, Storing An Old Tank…

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fierceblossoming

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone. I have a couple of questions
smile.png

First, I have a 55g freshwater tropical tank that I just upgraded from a 20g. My fish are happy and healthy, but I am wondering for suggestions on how to stock it. Right now I have 5 tiger barbs and 3 red wag platies. I stumbled upon the platies and knew they could have problems, but they seem to be doing just fine. Maybe its because of the size of the tank + lots of hiding places?

First, I do want to stock my 55 with colorful fish. I am realizing that the barbs could create a problem with this plan… My partner really wants a school of neon tetras -- is this possible with my current set up? I don't want them to be tortured/eaten by my barbs. What are some other colorful species that i could include? 

Next question -- well, more looking for opinions… I could also just take my barbs and put them back in the 20g and make the 55g a community tank. Should I just do that, or try to make the 55 work?

Last question is about my old 20g tank (assuming I don't use it for the tiger barbs). This might sound dumb, but how does one store an unused tank properly? I am assuming I will need to discard the filter media, clean out the tank (with just water?)… what should I do with the substrate? If I decide to store this tank, I want to make sure I do it properly so I can use it again in the future without a huge hassle. 

Thanks in advance!!

I keep neons and platys with my tiger barbs no problems.  The only thing that tends to cause problems is how fast the tiger barbs eat but my guys have adapted and come out and get food before the tiger barbs eat it all.  I would bump the number of barbs up to 8 or 10 this seems to make them a little more passive. There are plenty of fish you can combine with barbs just have to do research.

Did you cycle this new tank? If not, I'd move over the old filter media ASAP.

Most tiger barbs are little meanies and will nip other fish, so are usually best kept in a species only tank. You want at least 6 of them for a proper school but more is always better.

Neons are smaller than tiger barbs so I'd be more inclined to put the neons in the 20g if they don't work out in the 55g with the tigers.

I have never stored a tank so I'm not quite sure, sorry. I'd assume you'd want to clean with with water and dry it off like you say and then store it somewhere safe. Perhaps put the substrate in a container and store that as well?

Yes, 55g tank was cycled, I used the water from the 20g to fill about 15% of the new tank, and used some of the gravel from the old tank as well (I read that the substrate has good bacteria as well). I just tested the water again today and my Ammonia is at 5ppm (my fault... I over fed them), nitrites are at 0, and nitrates are at about 30ppm.

You'd have to overfeed them a ton to get that reading I think..also it'd need time to decompose and turn into ammonia.
Adding water won't have done anything as the bacteria is not in the water column. I'd move the filter media over ASAP and do some large water changes.

I'm not trying to attack you at all just want to make sure your current fish are settled in and the tank is doing well before you add anything. :)

I've never stored a tank, but I'm pretty sure the seals dry out over time. You might be best served to sell it, and buy another if you want a second tank in the future. Another option might be to store it full of water, but I can bet it would get icky over time.

Storing the substrate should be fine, dry it out and keep it somewhere, but give it a good wash when you use it again.

Sorry but I'm no help on your other questions.

Ninjouzata said:
You'd have to overfeed them a ton to get that reading I think..also it'd need time to decompose and turn into ammonia.
Adding water won't have done anything as the bacteria is not in the water column. I'd move the filter media over ASAP and do some large water changes.

I'm not trying to attack you at all just want to make sure your current fish are settled in and the tank is doing well before you add anything.
smile.png

+1

Okay. I wasn't planning on adding fish immediately, more trying to figure out a game plan moving forward :) the over feeding actually occurred over a period of 13 days, about 2-1/2 weeks ago. I was feeding on my usual schedule, and then my boyfriend would feed, and then my mother in law who lives with us would feed... We all thought we were the only ones doing it! Anyway, yes... My next big water change is going to be Wednesday :) and I am testing water daily.

I moved the old filter media tonight at your suggestion, and gave the tank a dose of nutrsfin cycle.

Oh no!!! I just looked at my notebook where I keep my test results... Ammonia was .5 ppm!!!! Is it going to be okay that I added the nutrafin? Should I remove the filter media from the old tank?

Welcome to the forums
smile.png

To cycle your new tank you have to move the filter media. Water does not contain any usefull bacteria and your substrate usually only a minority.

Nutrafin will do no harm, so nothing to worry about.

Imho tiger barbs are not as bad as people think they are. Problem is they are often housed in too small tanks in too small numbers and with the wrong tank mates. If u want a colorful tank I would increase the the tiger barbs and the platies in numbers. What are your water parameters? Platies like hard water and neon soft so housing them in the same tank is far from ideal.

How to store your tank: Clean all equipment thoroughly with water only(!) and a scrubber/haushold sponge (spare the silicone seam of the tank). To remove persistent lime u can use vinegar or lemon. Wash the substrate and leave it to dry outspread. Later you can store it in a bag, bucket or whatever. Modern silicone does not dry out. So you can store your tank empty whereever you got space. Of course I would avoid extreme conditions (freezing, heat, sun) and also I would try to handle the tank as carefully as possible.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back