3 gallon planted aquarium stocking

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
Hello every one! I have recently started my 3 gallon aquarium up again, and planted it. Now I know the best option is a betta, but I was wondering of I could get anything other than a betta in the tank. I would greatly appreciate your suggestions. Thanks!

shrimp and snails

Sulawesi shrimp are cool and as for snails, nerite and assassins are cool

Although some might disagree, I believe that fish that don't get over 2 inches, enjoy/are ok with being alone and don't swim a lot will work in a 3 gallon aquarium

A single dwarf pufferfish will work, but you must make sure the aquarium is plenty decorated with many places to explore as it is a curious fish with lots of personality

Last edited:
I've been leaning back towards a betta, and I was wondering if I could get some sort of a algae cleaner fish?

Its not really recommended.

First, that tank would be too small for nearly any fish that eats algae.
Second, the betta would need to be chill with other fish.

Nerite snails would be suitable.

Alright, I'll go with snails. So is neritemthe best type!for my tank, and if so how many should i get to control algae?

Alright, I'll go with snails. So is neritemthe best type!for my tank, and if so how many should i get to control algae?

"best" is subjective. But, Nerites are some of the best algae eaters in the snail population. I believe Olive Nerite are the least picky and will eat 'just about' any algae. Though, they will likely still require a bit of supplementary food.

Nerites can also completely protect themselves from the betta, incase your betta is unwilling to share his space. Nerites are 'flap' snails.

Nerites also can't breed unless in brackish water, so you won't get over run.

The number needed is dependent on how much algae your tank grows... and you can always grow your own 'algae rocks' to add if you have more than you need and want to give them some more algae to eat.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back