3 different corys - will they be happy?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

O

On_a_dishy

I read that corydoras like being together, so I have ordered 3 online - but like a kid in a sweetshop I chose 3 different types:
Emerald Green Brochis Corydora
Sterbai Cory
Loxozonus Corydoras
Will they know they are the same and stick together? Or have I created a bit of an unhappy medley?

Yes and no. You can mix multiple species together, but you (a) need more than three corys, preferably six as a minimum (b) at least three of each species is ideal. You might end up with less than three of any given species due to losses and not wanting to or not being able to replace something, but I would not recommend doing that by design.

My lone panda cory lives with a shoal of green laser corys (didn't want more pandas, as it never went well), but I would have never intentionally bought one panda. Arguably shouldn't have bought any pandas, as they're known for being overly inbred and dropping dead, but I'm doing the best I can with the one I've got.

Last edited:
I think all corys will school together for safety but I also think they know there not the same lol

Gypsum covered it pretty well. If you only have 1 of each, you will have stressed fish.

Brochis generally won't swim with Corydoras unless they have to.

If the order hasn't been shipped yet and your tank is big enough, I would add to the order and get 4 of each species.

I read that corydoras like being together, so I have ordered 3 online - but like a kid in a sweetshop I chose 3 different types:
Emerald Green Brochis Corydora
Sterbai Cory
Loxozonus Corydoras
Will they know they are the same and stick together? Or have I created a bit of an unhappy medley?
I have 5 panda and 5 striped ones. They flock in their own sometimes, flock together sometimes and sometimes just scattered mixed all over. They get along great and are a delight to watch

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back