3.5 gallon Ghost shrimp tank

corylover5

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My brother has a 3.5 gallon that he wants to turn into a tank for ghost shrimp. It will have driftwood, a small airstone, Marimo moss balls, river stones, and Hornwort. We plan on getting 12 Ghost shrimp since my LFS sells them by the dozen. The tank has been cycled. How often and how large should water changes be? What should the shrimp have to eat? Any other tips to keeping shrimp? Thanks in advance.

Ghost shrimp are more carnivorous than cherries. So feed flakes, pellets, Frozen like you would for fish. Theyre not good algae eating shrimp so they do need to be specifically fed. They will eat anything that hits the bottom. Id suggest bug bite pellets for bottom dwellers.

Id do 30-50% water changes weekly, same as you would with fish, just make sure parameters are stable. They're pretty durable shrimp. Unless you get them from the "feeder" tank of shrimp if that's what kind your store has. Then they will not last long at all unfortunately.

Ghost shrimp are more carnivorous than cherries. So feed flakes, pellets, Frozen like you would for fish. Theyre not good algae eating shrimp so they do need to be specifically fed. They will eat anything that hits the bottom. Id suggest bug bite pellets for bottom dwellers.

Id do 30-50% water changes weekly, same as you would with fish, just make sure parameters are stable. They're pretty durable shrimp. Unless you get them from the "feeder" tank of shrimp if that's what kind your store has. Then they will not last long at all unfortunately.
I have a feeling they are feeder shrimp since they are $4 for 12 shrimp

Also be aware that females get up to 2 inches. They also do not breed easily in most tank set ups. May get lucky and have a couple make it but most get eaten. Unlike cherry shrimp, these shrimp have a larval stage that needs to feed off infusoria until they molt a few times. Their care is much like fish fry.

And watch out that you actually buy ghost shrimp and not macrobrachium shrimp, or whisker shrimp.

Ghosts have orange bands of colour on their claw legs, antenna, and tail. Macrobrachium do not. Macrobrachium also have much longer claw arms, like the length of their body or more. They look similar and are often sold under ghost shrimp label.

Macrobrachium are not friendly shrimp lol

Also be aware that females get up to 2 inches. They also do not breed easily in most tank set ups. May get lucky and have a couple make it but most get eaten. Unlike cherry shrimp, these shrimp have a larval stage that needs to feed off infusoria until they molt a few times. Their care is much like fish fry.

And watch out that you actually buy ghost shrimp and not macrobrachium shrimp, or whisker shrimp.

Ghosts have orange bands of colour on their claw legs, antenna, and tail. Macrobrachium do not. Macrobrachium also have much longer claw arms, like the length of their body or more. They look similar and are often sold under ghost shrimp label.

Macrobrachium are not friendly shrimp lol
The shrimp have been very fun to watch and they've been active and healthy. Only thing is, whenever they get startled they jump out of the water and get themselves stuck on the tank lid. I carefully place them back in the tank when that happens but how can I prevent that?

Umm so suddenly 4 of them died. I have no idea what's wrong. Water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 8 nitrate. What should I do? Please help

The ones that passed away were 2 berried females and 2 males. Last night I fed them fluval bug bites and they all ate. This morning I took a cube of omega one frozen bloodworms, put it in a small cup of tank water, and fed them about 10 worms which they all loved. There were 12 shrimp.

Most reactions

trending

Back