29gal Stocking Options?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bluboy

Reaction score
Hello!
I just recently purchased a 29gal tank, which will be my second fish tank. I'm still very much a beginner and am looking for some simple stocking options.

I really like gouramis, and was wondering if this stock would work:
1x or 2x pearl gourami
5x otocinclus catfish
and possibly 3x kuhli loaches??

Is this too much? Would you consider all this in a tank overstocked? I've gotten a lot of contradicting advice and I'm not sure whether I'm on the right track or not. Any help is appreciated, and feel free to make better suggestions!!

The stocking seems good but be careful with gouramis. I’ve seen even pearl gouramis get aggressive. Make sure you provide some cover for if/when aggression occurs.

Problem is that both the otos and the kuhlis are shoaling fish. They should really be in groups of 10 or more. From what I understand, kuhlis are prone to hiding when they aren't in an adequate shoal.

Problem is that both the otos and the kuhlis are shoaling fish. They should really be in groups of 10 or more. From what I understand, kuhlis are prone to hiding when they aren't in an adequate shoal.
Would I still have enough space to have both of them if I added more? Or is there one that would be better than the other?

A few issues here. First, I would leave out the otos for the beginning of the tank and get them after the tank is established and matured, by which time there should be natural algae. Common green algae and diatoms will be eaten by otos, but not "problem" algae. But the issue is that they are imported and nearly starved, and frequently they die in a new aquarium because there is no algae, and they usually have not yet discovered that veggie/algae/kelp/spirulina sinking foods are food. Also, five is a lot for a 29g. This is a shoaling/schooling species, but the numbers are less of an issue because of its behaviours. I had five in a 90g tank and never witnessed them together at all. Two of them spawned, but that was the only interaction I was aware of. Course, at night they may really "go to town" for all I know! If you like this fish as a fish (and are not getting it solely to deal with algae) I would wait.

Kuhli do need a larger group. And they must have soft sand because they like to burrow. In some tanks they are never seen.

Gourami. There are several small species that would do very well in this sized tank. I would keep Pearls in nothing under 3 feet length, and in a small group of one male and two or three females. One on his/her own doesn't sound too good. This is a lovely gourtami, and in a group it will really display itself.

Can you give us the GH and pH of your source water (tao)? We are considering some fish that need it soft, and if it happens to be very hard, it will impact options.

A few issues here. First, I would leave out the otos for the beginning of the tank and get them after the tank is established and matured, by which time there should be natural algae. Common green algae and diatoms will be eaten by otos, but not "problem" algae. But the issue is that they are imported and nearly starved, and frequently they die in a new aquarium because there is no algae, and they usually have not yet discovered that veggie/algae/kelp/spirulina sinking foods are food. Also, five is a lot for a 29g. This is a shoaling/schooling species, but the numbers are less of an issue because of its behaviours. I had five in a 90g tank and never witnessed them together at all. Two of them spawned, but that was the only interaction I was aware of. Course, at night they may really "go to town" for all I know! If you like this fish as a fish (and are not getting it solely to deal with algae) I would wait.

Kuhli do need a larger group. And they must have soft sand because they like to burrow. In some tanks they are never seen.

Gourami. There are several small species that would do very well in this sized tank. I would keep Pearls in nothing under 3 feet length, and in a small group of one male and two or three females. One on his/her own doesn't sound too good. This is a lovely gourtami, and in a group it will really display itself.

Can you give us the GH and pH of your source water (tao)? We are considering some fish that need it soft, and if it happens to be very hard, it will impact options.
I have yet to put water in the aquarium as I'm still waiting on some new supplies to arrive. However, I do recall the tap water (well water) in my home being a bit on the harder end without any conditioners in it, though I couldn't tell you the specifics.

I have yet to put water in the aquarium as I'm still waiting on some new supplies to arrive. However, I do recall the tap water (well water) in my home being a bit on the harder end without any conditioners in it, though I couldn't tell you the specifics.
You can find out the water hardness on your water company website or look it up online by zip code.

Would I still have enough space to have both of them if I added more? Or is there one that would be better than the other?
I don't think you can have an adequate shoal of each in 29 gallons.

Is there any other fish that would work instead?
We really need to know your water hardness to answer that. Whatever that answer is, there are great fish that can stock. It's just a matter of figuring out which ones are best suited for your water and which ones you like best.

Last edited:
And substrate fish like cories or the loaches need soft sand. But the GH and pH of the tap water is very important.

However, I do recall the tap water (well water) in my home being a bit on the harder end
As you are on a well, there's no water provider's website to look at. Has the well water been tested, and if so did the report include hardness?

If it didn't, you could take a sample of tap water to a fish store and ask them to test it for GH and KH. But if they test with strips, you need to be aware that some brands of strips don't measure any higher than 180 ppm/10 dH (same level, different units) and if the GH is above that it will still read as 180/10.

Or buy a GH tester though as GH doesn't change much, if at all, it's a bit of a waste.

Since you need to cycle the tank, you'll need a test kit for ammonia and nitrite and a master test kit will include pH. Once you have the kit, test pH in freshly run tap water and a glass of water that's been allowed to stand overnight. They are often different.

We really need to know your water hardness to answer that. Whatever that answer is, there are great fish that can stock. It's just a matter of figuring out which ones are best suited for your water and which ones you like best.
Alright, I tested my already existing aquarium and here were the results:
pH: 7
gH: 30
kH: 40

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back