29gal external overflow DIY - lots of pics!!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

impur

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Well i got the bug and want a larger reef tank. My 10 gal nano has been great, but i'd like a little more room. So, since i had a 29 gal laying around i thought i'd do some moding, transfer everything into it and see how it goes. For this tank i wanted no equipment in the tank. Keeping it simple and clutter free is the goal. I decided an external overflow would be perfect, and since i got a dremel for xmas, this was the perfect project. Here we go!!!

Bits used:
P1060110.jpg

Cut away the plastic molding and used a sharpee to mark where the cut would go:
P1060106.jpg

Next using the ballpoint bit i made a groove along the line:
P1060108.jpg

Using the bullet shaped bit, time for the cut:
P1060107.jpg

All done, easy as pie:
P1080001.jpg

1/8 glass for the overflow box and 3 panes for the sump. Total cost $10
P1080005.jpg

Bulkheads used:
P1080004.jpg

The washers leaked, so i got these. They work perfect:
P1120017.jpg

Cutting the hole for one of the bulkheads - lots of water!!
P1080003.jpg

P1080006.jpg

Holes cut:
P1080007.jpg

Bulkheads installed, time to glue on the bottom:
P1090010.jpg

Next one of the sides:
P1090011.jpg

Other side:
P1090013.jpg

Back glued:
P1090014.jpg

All done:
P1090015.jpg

Teeth being cut out of acrylic. I'll use a set screw to attach this inside the tank to the back glass. This way i can remove it for cleaning if need be.
P1090012.jpg

Next i went to work on the 10gal sump baffles:
P1080002.jpg

Sump done:
P1090009.jpg

Filling up now for the leak test. I'll run it for a few days with FW to work out any kinks that may arise. Next week i'm starting on the DIY pendant to house my 250w MH reflector and bulb. I'll put up those pics as i go!! Thanks for looking.

looks cool! lotsa work, musta been scary cuttin the tank glass and... well glass in general, dont mess up ! :lol:

Good to see a project with so many pics! Keep up posted on this. :)

I'm interested in how you cut the glass using a dremel..... how would you rate the task? easy, hard?

I ask as I'd like to enlarge some previously cut holes in a tank of mine.

Looking good, hope it all runs ok for you.

Just a quick bit of advice in relation to the leaking washers on bulkheads.

Since they are normally a permanant addition I was advised by a tank builder who drilled my tank to just use sealant. Especially since he found a lot of rubber and plastic washers rot over time, especially in saltwater.

I did and have had no problems.

HTH

Andy

Stryker said:
I'm interested in how you cut the glass using a dremel..... how would you rate the task? easy, hard?

I ask as I'd like to enlarge some previously cut holes in a tank of mine.
I'd rate it medium-easy. I was a bit scared to start, i didn't want tiny pieces of glass all over my table and i wasn't sure if the tank was tempered. After getting about an inch into it, it really went quick. Then i thought, wow this is so much easier than i thought it would be. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Just a quick bit of advice in relation to the leaking washers on bulkheads.

Since they are normally a permanant addition I was advised by a tank builder who drilled my tank to just use sealant. Especially since he found a lot of rubber and plastic washers rot over time, especially in saltwater

I thought about that. But since it would be very easy to drain the overflow box, i decided on the washers. I would like the option to take everything apart and clean it if necessary.

Most reactions

Back