29G stocking help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Spoopy

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm currently in the process of cycling a 29 gallon unheated tank, and while I already have a good idea of what I want, I'd like to know other people's take on it. I'm currently planning on 6-8 Peppered Cories, 3 Hillstream Loaches, 1 Asian Stone Catfish, 1 Pygmy Sunfish, 8 Zebra Danio, and 10 WCMM. I'm sure most of the fish will work just fine together (I do have a powerhead as well), the one fish I'm not too sure on is the Pygmy Sunfish, cause I don't know if the activity from the Danios and Minnows will act as either a dither for it or just spook it too much, cause I know it can be a very timid fish. My idea for the Sunfish was for it to be one of the centerpieces, the only one of its species in the tank, so if the Sunfish would be a bad idea, I'd love to hear if there are any good alternatives; Paradise fish are off the list for me though, I've heard too many nightmare stories to want to tackle one of those in a community setting just yet. Also, with some research, I read that there's a type of pleco, the Pitbull pleco, that can tolerate 20C at the low end; could that potentially work in the tank as well, or is that just false or misleading information?

I would think about deciding on Danios OR WCMMs and them maybe upping the number a few on the one you prefer.
Only because I think you are pushing the limit of your bioload.
I have WCMMs and really enjoy them.

I don't know what the Stone fish is or the Paradise fish., but I'm sure that with the loaches, too, you have researched all the compatability.

I'm such a wimp when it comes to mixing fish/community tanks! I admire people who keep them.

Are the salt and pepper one of the dwarf cory? I can't wait to come across any of the 3 dwarf variery and am holding a place in one of my tanks for them ♡

I would think about deciding on Danios OR WCMMs and them maybe upping the number a few on the one you prefer.
Only because I think you are pushing the limit of your bioload.
That's a fair point; I started the idea around the WCMM, so I'd be okay in dropping the Danios for more Minnows.

I don't know what the Stone fish is or the Paradise fish.
The Asian Stone Catfish is one of, if not the smallest true catfish (by that I mean not pygmy or dwarf), reaching about an inch and a half at the very top end of the scale.

Paradise fish are labyrinth fish very closely related to gouramis, but many have placed their aggression level to be in between a three spot gourami and a betta, leaning towards betta. Not only that, but their appearance I'd say is a "mix" of both.
Are the salt and pepper one of the dwarf cory?
The Salt and Pepper Cories are dwarf cories, yes, but I'm planning on regular Peppered Cories because they can live in colder water than the dwarfs.

Also, as a side note, I should mention that the aquarium is set up inside so the temperature should stay relatively constant throughout the day and year

That's a fair point; I started the idea around the WCMM, so I'd be okay in dropping the Danios for more Minnows.

The Asian Stone Catfish is one of, if not the smallest true catfish (by that I mean not pygmy or dwarf), reaching about an inch and a half at the very top end of the scale.

Paradise fish are labyrinth fish very closely related to gouramis, but many have placed their aggression level to be in between a three spot gourami and a betta, leaning towards betta. Not only that, but their appearance I'd say is a "mix" of both.

The Salt and Pepper Cories are dwarf cories, yes, but I'm planning on regular Peppered Cories because they can live in colder water than the dwarfs.

Also, as a side note, I should mention that the aquarium is set up inside so the temperature should stay relatively constant throughout the day and year
Oh, thanks for specifying about the cory.
I'm excited to see your tank!
Hurry up :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back