29g Saltwater Nano Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
The blue light actually looks horrible on camera, if you donā€™t have an orange filter.

Why does it feel wonky to have it on all day? Itā€™s pretty much the same as leaving a freshwater light on all day, except thereā€™s more technicalities.
Ohhhhhh really!? So itā€™s not so blue in person?
The blue light is on with other coloured light and should not be noticeable.

The coral reefs have exactly the same wavelengths of light that freshwater rivers have in the tropics. The only difference is the clarity of the water and lack of shade over the ocean.

A normal light with globe/s that have a 6500K temperature is fine for marine tanks and will give a nice clear white light.
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok

Iā€™m really enjoying it. Itā€™s MUCH better than freshwater IMHO. Once you go to the salty side, you never come back!
welcome to the dark side :ninja:
I lost interest pretty quickly, I thought saltwater would be fun at first until I watch a lot of planted tank aquascaping on youtube and thatā€™s make me wants more of a planted tank, so...no saltwater for now...

Ohhhhhh really!? So itā€™s not so blue in person?
??

It looks more blue in photos, because the blue messes with the camera.

I lost interest pretty quickly, I thought saltwater would be fun at first until I watch a lot of planted tank aquascaping on youtube and thatā€™s make me wants more of a planted tank, so...no saltwater for now...
You didnā€™t really dive in, lol. Once you get into coral and really studying the fish you have, you will never feel the same.

Got a new fish! He is a Sunrise Dottyback. Currently in QT, because he came from PetCo. Those tanks were super nasty and I just didnā€™t want to risk it.
7BCCC43D-5213-4ED1-A09B-570EAE1D15FC.jpeg
62ABE96D-6C91-41FA-9D0C-5955BF3CE6EF.jpeg
9B440AEC-B116-41B5-B374-E8F80B741FF0.jpeg

Got a new fish! He is a Sunrise Dottyback. Currently in QT, because he came from PetCo. Those tanks were super nasty and I just didnā€™t want to risk it.
Put some sand on the bottom of the tank and put a ceramic flower pot or rock cave in for the fish so it doesn't stress out. You can use plastic plants too. Make sure you have a picture on the back of the tank for the same reason.

I donā€™t want to use sand, as itā€™s a QT tank. If it was a goby or blenny, then I would be using sand.

I plan to get a piece of PVC pipe that it can hide in.

It already has a black background on it.

quarantine tanks can have a thin layer of sand to stop the glare coming off the bottom glass.

You didnā€™t really dive in, lol. Once you get into coral and really studying the fish you have, you will never feel the same.
The same goes for you as well, didnā€™t really dive in to high-tech planted tank, there are lots of amazing and interesting plants, techs and gadgets over here!

Last edited:
The same goes for you as well, didnā€™t really dive in to high-tech planted tank, there are lots of amazing and interesting plants, techs and gadgets over here!
I guess the same could be said for both of us?!

I considered setting up a high tech planted tank a while back, but then decided to save that money for saltwater. So glad I did.

With saltwater, there are just so many more creatures you can keep as opposed to freshwater.

quarantine tanks can have a thin layer of sand to stop the glare coming off the bottom glass.
That is true. However, sand can also absorb any copper medication that I might be dosing if he gets sick.

Wow! Do you name your fish?
I havenā€™t named this one yet, but I usually do name my fish.

Went ahead and moved this paly closer to the surface, on the rock work:
5B3829D5-D1C2-4C22-8F04-5880D5FF5235.jpeg
7C2E41E2-5019-4E28-92A8-86679BC65F8E.jpeg

The dottyback is also doing very well:
CE19F349-4885-46F3-B468-502E358312E7.jpeg
42379BA0-13C1-40B0-B3EB-F35FF2184F75.jpeg

He has already colored up much more since I got him!!

He will have to stay in QT for at least 4 weeks. :/

Your dottyback is really stressed out. Have you got some plastic plants from your freshwater tank that you can put in for him? tie a fishing sinker to the base of the plant to hold it down.

Are they safe for saltwater?

Also, I donā€™t want him to cut himself on them.

Iā€™m also going to add a PVC elbow piece for him to hide in.

@Colin_T, why should I QT the dottyback?

Iā€™ve never QTā€™d any fish in my whole life. I get that if the fish is visibly sick, then sure. But this guy is super healthy.

If he remains in the QT tank, he will get more and more stressed, which will probably cause him to get sick more than if he was in the main tank.

Iā€™m considering moving him over to the main tank todayā€¦

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back