29G Low Tech

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Alright got it. :lol:
001-1.jpg

:rolleyes:

Lol.

Well 2 guppies have died. 1 died a few days ago and the second died today. Both were floating on the surface. All the other fish seem fine, but I'll test the water later today. :unsure:

Tested what I had the kits (and color cards) for:

Ammonia - have the tests but no directions or color code
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - ~20ppm
pH - 6.4
kH - no directions
gH - no directions
Phosphate - 1ppm

So, not sure what's happening with the fish. :unsure:

Water change is always a good idea if there is a problem. A large one at that :)

6.4 is a pretty low Ph though.

AC

The pH has always been low like that.
I'm pretty sure it's the same out of the tap.

The light came today. :D
It's very sleek and nice looking and overall the tank looks much nicer being fully lit.

But I found another dead fish, a pygmy gourami. :/
I have no idea whats wrong with these fish, their behaviors all seem very normal.
The guppy's fins are a little torn up, but not badly. I'll keep an eye on them.
And I'll definitely do a water change today.

edit: Did 50% water change. Found a dead female guppy... :/
Dosed with flourish excel

I've been adding flourish excel daily according to the directions on the bottle, until yesterday.
I found a dead shrimp and another dead gourami. :unsure:
So I skipped a day of dosing.

Any idea whats killing things? Maybe leave the excel for a week. maybe the dosing too.

Take a close look around the tank for hydra.

AC

No idea. The fish started dieing before the dosing... :unsure:

The excel does seem to be working, but I don't know if the affected leaves are going to recover, even though the algae is gone. They're still kind of brown and semi-transparent...

...What's hydra? :unsure:

Hydra is a small carnivorous animal, which looks a bit like a squid in my opinion. It has a white to brownish colour and you will find it mostly sitting on the glass or on wood. It can't swim, just float. It has poisonous stings and with these it kills its prey.

Reading through some articles on the net it seems unlikely you have a hydra problem as Gouramis eat them :)

However found something else that may be the problem....the UD catfish:

http://freshaquarium.about.com/u/ua/catfish2/upsideowner.htm

Seems they are a bit of a monster at night

AC

I've had them just as long as the other fish, though. The guppies were floating at the top. One of the gourami's was being eaten by the kuhli loaches, and I know they didn't kill it.
Also the fish died during the day, and the UD catfish hardly move in the daytime. Actually I don't even see them much at night lol, they mostly stay in the log.

Also, I only recently got the gourami's and they're very small, and there's only one left now...

Recently 3 fish died on me without any apparent reason either, but then it turned out that the heater was not working properly (a connection issue) and the temperature had dropped to 20 degrees. This together with a low food regime think caused the problem.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back