29 gallon tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
You can purchase sponge filters on EBay for about $5. Most filterless tanks are packed with pants and it takes time to establish the ecosystem. You can’t just set one up and go.
I'm not sure about the filter yet, still deciding on that.

No sand!..stay away from sand unless you've been at it for years. Sand packs down..so no room for bacteria,and it hard for plant roots to grow into. If you use ordinary aquarium gravel the HOB filters return over that gravel will help filter even more. This whole sand thing is bad aquarium keeping. I always have to point out that Amano's pretty white sands..were for show only in front of the tank..the plants in back were in his own brand of gravel..ALWAYS!
I will use sand, because it provides more surface area for the bacteria to grow. I plan to get black/dark sand at my local hardware store. I love the look of @seangee tank, thats why im going with dark. :)

Just as an update, I will probably be getting the tank and the sand today, since Petco and the hardware store are right next to each other. I still haven't found a filter. I'll probably just use one of my old 10g filters, just to provide some water movement.

Just as an update, I will probably be getting the tank and the sand today, since Petco and the hardware store are right next to each other. I still haven't found a filter. I'll probably just use one of my old 10g filters, just to provide some water movement.

My suggestions for a filter would be either a sponge filter or the Aqueon Quiet Flow Internal:
https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/...27e&ref_=bl_dp_s_web_2582378011&tag=ff0d01-20

I have the latter in my 40g (40) and 33g (20) tanks where I need a bit more current because of the fish.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok, so I picked up the 29g tank and some sand today. I am not yet home though, I'll probably scape/set it up tomorrow.

I will take out the filter in my 10g and use it in my new 29g, until I get the filter @Byron suggested or a sponge filter. I plan to cycle it right away, with a seeded filter cartridge. After I do that, I'll put my Zebra Danio in there. I will get her some friends soon.

I have a question, today at Petco, I saw some other ZD's. They where really small, is it normal for my ZD to be big? Mine is maybe 2 as big as the biggest one there. She isn't a giant danio or anything, she is definitely a regular long finned zebra danio.

I have a question, today at Petco, I saw some other ZD's. They where really small, is it normal for my ZD to be big? Mine is maybe 2 as big as the biggest one there. She isn't a giant danio or anything, she is definitely a regular long finned zebra danio.

Most shoaling fish in stores will be juveniles. It is less expensive when they are commercially raised (as this species is) to sell them as soon as they can. The species will attain close to 2 inches at maturity.

Ok, so I picked up the 29g tank and some sand today. I am not yet home though, I'll probably scape/set it up tomorrow.

I will take out the filter in my 10g and use it in my new 29g, until I get the filter @Byron suggested or a sponge filter. I plan to cycle it right away, with a seeded filter cartridge. After I do that, I'll put my Zebra Danio in there. I will get her some friends soon.

The zebras at the store are probably very young. I have one that is twice as big as the others. Hey, if you take your filter out if your 10G, is there anything in it that needs a filter?

Ok, thank you. Is it recommended to keep them in groups of 6? Or more?

What is a good stocking list for my new tank? Right away it will hold the following: 1 Zebra danio, 1 albino bristle nose pleco, and a few snails. (MTS and BRH). I've heard a blue ram is a good center piece? (Gourami's are sort of always recommended, but I haven't has much luck with those.)

The zebras at the store are probably very young. I have one that is twice as big as the others. Hey, if you take your filter out if your 10G, is there anything in it that needs a filter?
Are you asking does my 10g need a filter? Sorry, I don't understand.

Starting new tanks is always exciting. Are blue rams aggressive ? I never had one but thought I read that. Could be dreaming. Yes, the danios need to be in groups of at least 6.

Ok, I got the sand, I just haven't cleaned it yet. Is it normal for the water in my sample cup to be super cloudy? I can remember last time it wasn't that cloudy. Will it all wash out? I plan to wash the sand and fill the tank up today. Only 1 problem......my desk is only 50.25 inches long. It needs to be 54.25 inches long. So there will be 2 inches on both my 10g and 29g off the edge. Is this safe? If not, any ideas?

No, you don’t want any overhang. The stress can crack your tank. Get yourself a piece of exterior wood (waterproof) and cut it to correct dimensions. Leave a little extra overhang. Home Depot or most lumber stores will cut it for you.

Do you mean attach it to the side of the desk? And what about the sand question?

Thanks for both of your help, @Deanasue and @Byron. You guys have helped a lot.

And would it be ok with the tank sort of overlapped? (The 29g in front and the 10g in back. You would still be able to see the 10g, it'll just take off 3 in. from your view.)

Ok, thank you. Is it recommended to keep them in groups of 6? Or more?

What is a good stocking list for my new tank? Right away it will hold the following: 1 Zebra danio, 1 albino bristle nose pleco, and a few snails. (MTS and BRH). I've heard a blue ram is a good center piece? (Gourami's are sort of always recommended, but I haven't has much luck with those.)

As deanasue said, six or more of the zebra danios. I assume this is in the 29g. Acquire all of the intended number together (the five or more new ones this means) and put them in the tank at the same time. If you can also put the one you now have in when you add the new ones, rather than before, it might help. This is not a parfticularly aggressive species, but a lone danio will be stressed just from being alone, and this frequently causes aggressive behaviours. Moving the one into a new environment with thee new danios might avoid trouble.

You cannot have a Blue Ram here. For one thing, the temperature blue (common) rams need is 80F or higher, and danios should never be kept this warm, they need cooler temperatures (low 70's to mid-70's). Second, danios are active swimmers and should never be combined with sedate fish. That would apply to any gourami too. With danios in the tank, you need to look at similarly active fish, nothing that is quiet and sedate.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back