29 gallon tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Oh OK. That's what I thought it was, but mine looks just a little different.

Oh, I see. Yes, there are 2 basic different types of Anacharis. Type #1, is the type you see most in my tank. (It’s called broad leaved Anacharis). Type #2 is the type you see all the way to the left. (That type is called narrow leaved Anacharis). Both are great, but I prefer the Broad Leaved Anacharis because it looks better/more full.
Narrow leaf:
B56D72EE-6C10-4BF8-A149-C99FC53A967B.jpeg

Broad Leaf:
9AA45BBD-64AE-4186-9023-752C70C0D89B.jpeg

(This is what a solitary narrow leaf Anacharis looks like...)
F8BDAEA4-59FA-4BB7-AFDF-41BF59F28144.jpeg

I’m sort of a geek when it comes to Anacharis! :shifty:

Edit: Please note that the zebra danios you see above does not currently reside in that tank. It was just in there for a basic treatment.

I think an acrylic lid would be cool. As long as you can cut it down to the size you need - cut out an indent for the HOB, thermometer - btw - why no thermometer - will this tank live in the tropics? I would worry too much about by fish getting cold, but then I've never swam in the tropics.

I think sand is great and not for the plants but for the fish. A number of species like to bury themselves part way in the sand, the catfish/cory group like to look for food in the sand and hard gravel hurts their noses? Seachem makes a clay gravel which is softer - lovely stuff. 1 to 1 1/2 bags should do it. Each bag is around $30. In Topeka Kansas I was redoing a tank (a hell of a lot of work) because I had picked out a seachem gravel that said "dark" - it was TAN so ugly and the color wouldn't rinse out. Every week wiping tan colored aquarium walls - yuck. The black is stunning.

I hate danio's btw - one of mine is a cold blooded serial killer. After he killed all his schoolmates he also ate the fins killed another fish. Made me sick when I saw it They are NOT known to be aggressive but this one is an exception. He's settled down and quit doing it but I should have euthanized him before he killed so many but it took me a while to see what was going on.

You really do need that 29 gallon tank for these guys and don't clutter up your tank with too much foliage in the middle --they need a lot of room to swim and don't want all those plants in the way. Put plants around the edges and if you have a different species that like cover then make one small space in the tank covered with floating plants = some fish like to "take a rest" in dense foliage. I have 3 29 gallons, well worth the extra $9

Wow!

I love this thread. My heart started racing reading your mounting excitement! Such a nice community here. I am exhausted but still read most of it. To be honest I skipped most of the middle and picked up the first couple and last couple of pages. Kind of skipped over the parts about the stand...

For what it's worth...

White Mountain cloud minnows are awesome! I have no idea about their compatibility with Danios.

My biggest fear is fishing dead/injured fish out of a tank. I want everyone to get along.
Have you considered getting MANY Danios? Might look really impressive. No other schooling fish? OR maybe Zebras and long finned Danios together, yes, ? No? Anyone know? And then of course your creatures you already have that don't need a school, snails and such.

How about 3 or 4 of the bottom scurrying creatures that don't get big? Sorry, don't know names, water temps, etc...but some of them stay small.

I had bad luck (too excited, under researched, no QT, etc...) with Green Neon Tetras. For some reason I had the impression they were easy fish...for beginners. Maybe because they are everywhere? Not saying this would happen to you, though.

I love my pure Ivory Mystery Snail, but honestly I think he/she may have taken opportunity to get my RCS after molting.
Ask others on here, depending on what they say. She / he is stunning looking and more active than I thought.

I recently got a Dwarf Lily and somehow it is growing. Don't know if it can go in sand, maybe get a little container with gravel in it,and don't bury the bulb. Tuck it behind something...i actually have an Annubius stull in it's pot in one of my tanks, it's fine so far.

Amano Shrimp sooo cute and personable.

Best advice is your own...concentrate on the Danios first.

Anyone correct me if any of this is bad advice. Trying to be helpful, this is exciting.
I have no problem with being corrected, either, that's a good way to learn!

Finally, so many pretty and varied tanks in all the photos, thanks everyone!

Thanks guys! I plan to get a shoal of Cory cats once the ZD settle in. I have been considering another schooling fish besides the ZD’s. I was thinking either WCMM or cardinal tetras.

I would go with the white clouds rather than cardinals. Like danios, wcmm like water a bit cooler while cardinals like it a bit warmer. And they are a bit more active than cardinals so would be better with the very active danios.

Wcmm also come in yellow/gold variant as well as grey.

Ok, I’ll look into those. I know that they have a good selection at my LFS. This is going to be a long process. (Just like most projects! :lol: )

Hey guys! Long time no post, anyway here are the update pictures:
51ED14BC-0201-4D0A-9AAB-A6956B830419.jpeg

8F94465D-A998-4986-8A99-885F23B9B612.jpeg

(I know the water level is a bit low, I’m making more water now. ;))

The plants are doing super well and I’m getting more and more shrimp every day. I estimate I have around 20 so far. The pleco has also settled down, which is really good. (I still don’t have a name for him by the way, any ideas?)

I will get the ZD’s soon. Life is just busy, ya know? :rolleyes:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back