29 Gallon Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SamB

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So, the craigslist bug bit again and I've made an impulse buy.. my new biggest tank, a 29 gallon. I mean look at all this stuff I got got 50 dollars!
photo.jpg

(29 gallon tank, hood, 2 lights (1 1 bulb, 1 2 bulb), 2 spare bulbs, heater, hob filter & sponge filter!)

photo.jpg

(disassembled tank stand and 5 gallon jug for water changes) (ignore the other stuff in my trunk)

Seriously. Resistance was futile. 

My 20 gallon is still running, as are my little 1.5 gallons for my bettas. The 20 gallon has had some thinning out of population (random gourami death 
rip.gif
) but is a healthy community at this point. So for this tank, I want to do some fish with personality. I don't think I want schooling. I was thinking semi-aggressive / aggressive. I'd be totally cool with doing a species tank with an algae eater or bottom feeder.. but right now this tank is a blank page. I had puffer fish suggested to me, so that's a thought. I know I'm doing a sand substrate, and I think I want to do it lightly planted. Here's the substrate I'm going to pick up later: 
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?cm_vc=-10005&catalogId=10051&urlRequestType=Base&productId=14286&errorViewName=ProductDisplayErrorView&langId=-1&storeId=10151

Thoughts on the substrate? I think I've seen other people using it.

Alright, got the tank in and on its legs and filled with sand and water! No clouding! Result:

Z13pDj6.jpg

If you want to see my process, check out my album on imgur: http://imgur.com/a/z4lF5#okgofJn

Cool! Must have rinsed the sand pretty thoroughly, it's not cloudy at all.

I think the sand I used definitely helped. When I was rinsing, very little was coming off, which I thought was odd but a big plus.

Final arrangement right now: 
photo.jpg

Thoughts? Do I need to reorganize anything? I treated the wood with boiling water for an hour and I haven't seen tanins yet, but I have charcoal in the filter just in case. Rocks were treated with boiling water.

Edit: Check out my imgur album to see some of my workflow atart to here: http://imgur.com/a/aYC5U

Love the tank so far.  Have you decided on the stocking yet?  I think a puffer would be fun if you were up to the maintenance it comes with.  They seem like they do have tons of personality.

I'm definitely looking for stocking suggestions. The puffer seems like an interesting choice, but I've never dealt with salt and I hear that some should be brackish. Also, I'm not really sure about what size they get to.

I promised my apartment mates that we would get cool fish in this one (aka not a community tank) so that they would let me put it in the living room. Definitely a bachelor pad type tank, lol. So whatever I get should probably either be very bright and flashy as a contrast, or silver to keep with the grey and black color theme.

I had said no plants at all.. but I'm thinking.. would java moss look good in there? Or some other type of moss? Can't decide if I want to or not.

Get a puffer that would be awesome!! Monotrete Abei would make a great wet pet in there but any of the wet pets would do well! A Palambang Puffer might work as well but not sure if they get too big for a 30?

Wills

Will definitely have a look! Right now I'm leaning towards some convict cichlids!

Ya gotta love craigslist! That's where I found my 75g for under $200 w/stand, I was thrilled! 

Skies said:
Ya gotta love craigslist! That's where I found my 75g for under $200 w/stand, I was thrilled! 
 Woo! Craigslist!!

So I did my research... went to petco to buy convict cichlids.. then completely changed my mind. Here's the guys who made it home with me today:

eRywjCGh.jpg

Albino Bristlenose Pleco! He has awesome camo on those white rocks I have. 

7JlRNarh.jpg

cyA6mmAh.jpg

mRBlOKRh.jpg

10 baby tiger barbs!
biggrin.png
I love the way they school so far. They whiz around the tank. Had some curiosity in the pleco at first but left him alone quickly.

They will be joined in a while by 6 corydoras. My local petco sells emerald ones that get to be ~3" max.

Here's a link to the good/decent pictures of the tank I've gotten so far.. will add more as I get more: http://imgur.com/a/NqjSO#0

Definitely excited for him to grow a little, right now he can be a real pest to find.

What do your room mates think?
I only see my Pleco once very 2-3 days tbh. They're hidey little buggers.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back