29 Gallon Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

IovaykInD

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have the Zoo Med Tropic Sun 24" bulb. I can't find what the wattage is, but I definately have less than 1 wpg. I'm thinking .6 or .7 :) I searched for low light plants, and I read that someone could have even a sword plant in the tank because they had a lot of indirect sunlight. I don't turn on my light in the morning, because a lot of sunlight gets into the house. I have a lot of indirect sunlight on my tank as well. Right now, I have water sprite, cabomba, and a banana plant. But my main question is how many wpg do I have from that bulb? And also, what plants can I grow without co2? Do you need high lighting and co2 if you want to use ferts, because I can get free fert, and I mind as well use it.

Isaac

Your bulb will be 20 Watts - 0.7 WPG. Not great but better if you have a reflector.

Most plants will grow without injecting CO2, if a little slowly. You will only need CO2 injection with 2 WPG or more (regular size tank). However CO2 injection will benefit all plants at all lighting levels.

You will need high plant growth to justify the regular dosing of ferts. High plant growth is generally only acheived using med-high light levels with CO2. With lower light/no added CO2 then frequent water changes, fish food and fish waste will normally provide enough nutrients.

Be aware that natural light can cause algae blooms. I have black paper covering the sides of my tank to prevent most natural light entering. This said; some people have success with using natural light as an additional light source.

What plants can I grow in .7 wpg? And also, if I add a reflector, what will my wattage be then? Griz, can you recommend me some plants, as you are the starter of the topic with low light plants and natural lighting.

Isaac
:EDITED FOR SPELLING:

Your wattage doesn't change with reflectors - just the intensity. The WPG rule assumes you use reflectors so without one you could say you have even less then 0.7 WPG.

The normal selection of low-light plants may be ok i.e. Java fern/moss, some Crypts and Anubias. You may have limited success with hardy Hygophila and Ludwigia species and other stem plants although it is unlikely.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back