29 Gallon Tank Stand Build

SamB

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm thinking this is the right place for this?

I have already made a hood for my 29 gallon tank, and its piddly metal stand has been making me nervous, so I decided just to go all in and make the stand. Since I live in a smaller apartment, I have no work area and needed Home Depot to cut the wood:

20130708_193459.jpg

^^ poor sod who had to cut many many pieces of wood ^^

20130708_194551.jpg

OK! All the wood pieces I will need. I designed the stand before.. and then later mucked it up and changed the design to fit.

This was followed by a fun game of "how am I going to fit this into my 2 seater car?" 

10553_Honda-Civic-del-Sol_2.jpg

^^ my car ^^

Through some major miracles including the large front sheet of wood traveling in the front seat next to me (half on me too) and serious puzzle building in the trunk with the others.

Then unloaded it into the apartment:

20130708_202643.jpg

:| That looks like a lot of wood.

GREAT LETS SCREW STUFF TOGETHER!

20130708_203405.jpg

20130708_211305.jpg

That's the base! Except.. wait.. wasn't I supposed to use the other pieces of wood..

Oops. By this point I'd made the "base" and the "top". To save the stand I turned these into the sides. Then I got a bit carried away and forgot to take pictures... and suddenly here i was!

20130708_222703.jpg

the shelf is not wonky.. I hadn't attatched it in this picture yet. It is structurally sound, one of my roommates and I sat on it and it didnt move! I'm waiting to add the outside skirt until I can visit my parents and use their tools, since I don't have a jigsaw to cut out the holes for a cabinet door in the front panel nor a sander.

Thoughts?

I think.... Good! :good:
Will it be able to take the weight though?

I weight 175 lbs and my roomate weighs about 180. Combined about 365 lbs.. a full 29 gallon should weigh 350. plus I added that hood. but over all i am confident in its ability to support!

lol looks more sturdy then the particle board black ones that come underneath nearly every tank.  very nice!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back