29 gallon stocking ideas

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ga_Anna

Reaction score
I've just finished cycling my 29 gallon tank. My son came home with 2 rainbow sharks and 2 iridescent sharks. Is there any other fish I can put with these guys?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just finished cycling my 29 gallon tank. My son came home with 2 rainbow sharks and 2 iridescent sharks. Is there any other fish I can put with these guys?
Well... That small is extremely small. They need to be returned. Each iridescent sharks will be 4FT when fully grown. So a tank of 300-400 gallons MINIMUM is required. And the redtail sharks need a 55 gallon minimum.
But things to go in a 29g would be corydora species, some types of tetra, small cichlids, and other small fish species.

First check with your water provider to see what your wafer hardness and PH is first, otherwise you may have dead fish.

I agree. Unfortunately, none of the so-called "sharks" will work in this small a tank, even alone, and they should not be combined unless the tank is franly huge. They attain 5-6inches, they are territorial, and depending upon individuals can be downright killers. Please return them, this is not going to work.

When we have a blank slate, and know the water parameters (GH and pH), we can offer suggestions for suitable fish. I personally like the 29g tank, assuming it is the "basic" 29g with a length of 30 inches. I had two of these in my fish room for many years. But the fish must be small in size (mature size).

I really hate this for the poor fish. I believe my son had intended to watch them fight. The return window has closed. We've had them since Thursday and they only offer 3 days for returning. As of now all they do is hide in the rocks and the skull. I think the smaller rainbow could be trapped or is hidden very well. The tank is heavy decorated towards the bottom. I do have a 55 gallon but I'm not putting them in with those guys. My only hope now is to find a friend to take them. Thanks for your input.

I really hate this for the poor fish. I believe my son had intended to watch them fight. The return window has closed. We've had them since Thursday and they only offer 3 days for returning. As of now all they do is hide in the rocks and the skull. I think the smaller rainbow could be trapped or is hidden very well. The tank is heavy decorated towards the bottom. I do have a 55 gallon but I'm not putting them in with those guys. My only hope now is to find a friend to take them. Thanks for your input.
Usually local aquatics stores will take them and give you a bit of store credit in return, try ringing around

Unfortunately we only have one local and the other place is almost an hour away

The store should have asked you what size tank you have. They should not have sold you the sharks. i would talk to the manager and tell him you would appreciate a full store credit under the circumstances so you could put it toward appropriate fish for your tank.

Last edited:
It is a cruel thing to get fish with the actual intent of watching them fight. 🤷🏻‍♂️ if they can't be rehomed they should be euthanized.

It is a cruel thing to get fish with the actual intent of watching them fight. 🤷🏻‍♂️ if they can't be rehomed they should be euthanized.
That sucks if they get euthanized...
4 beautiful creatures that are in the pet trade and they are killed because pet stores are not doing their jobs...

And really!? He WANTED them to fight? That's just cruel.

The store should have asked you what size tank you have. They should not have sold you the sharks. i would talk to the manager and tell him you appreciate a full store credit under the circumstances so you could put it toward appropriate fish for your tank.
It’s silly how LFS run like this. I recently got offered a job in my LFS but I can’t do it because of caring for my wife. Safe to say I don’t think ide sell many fish. People want stupid amounts of fish in stupidly little tanks

The store should have asked you what size tank you have. They should not have sold you the sharks. i would talk to the manager and tell him you would appreciate a full store credit under the circumstances so you could put it toward appropriate fish for your tank

It was the owner of the store that made the sale. If I can take them an hour away to Pet Smart, how should I transport them?

Its great that you are getting some advice here but I think a picture can often help :) this is what those catfish have the potential to grow to.

1657120700448.png

I know its hard sometimes when you meet people in the stores and they often do genuinely mean well but if they are prepared to sell this kind of fish into a 30 gallon tank I would make sure you go informed so if they make suggestions you can politely challenge them if its something you know is going to be an issue.

If you are able to rehome them can you take them in the bags you brought them home in? Failing that if you can get a polystrene box or some sort of bucket with a lid? Some people use plastic storage boxes with lids on.

Wills

Its great that you are getting some advice here but I think a picture can often help :) this is what those catfish have the potential to grow to.

View attachment 162608

I know its hard sometimes when you meet people in the stores and they often do genuinely mean well but if they are prepared to sell this kind of fish into a 30 gallon tank I would make sure you go informed so if they make suggestions you can politely challenge them if its something you know is going to be an issue.

If you are able to rehome them can you take them in the bags you brought them home in? Failing that if you can get a polystrene box or some sort of bucket with a lid? Some people use plastic storage boxes with lids on.

Wills
OMG!! That's crazy. How can they even sale those in a pet store? They should be sold by stock pond retailers. That is not a pet.

OMG!! That's crazy. How can they even sale those in a pet store? They should be sold by stock pond retailers. That is not a pet.
Yup exactly. When I said 4 FEET I meant it. No joke. Their mostly for HUGE tanks and large ponds

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back