FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

noobgamers

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hey me gain just asking for advise on the plants in my upcoming 29 gallon aquarium the lighting is going to be 1.5watts per gallon
no co2 will be used although i am willing to put lot so ftime into maintenance the fish i ma getting in this tank are
10 flame tetra
4 mollys
4 balloon mollys
2 bolivian rams
6 sterbais corydoras
6 julli corydoras
1 bn pleco
the aquascape i am going for is a mountain type aquascape srry cant get a picture but for those of ytou who dont know it is where you make a "mountain" ou to frock and plant it with generally small plants the rest of the tank is going to be bare
ty for any advise
my p h is going to be around 6.8 to 7.2
temperature is going to be around 25 degrees
my substrate is black sand will use root rabs and or ferts if necesery

25 is too cool for the rams. I also would not put rams in a tank with two schools of corydoras. That's too much competition for space. Having said that, I don't think two schools of corydoras is a good idea anyway, considering you've not got the largest base dimensions. If you choose between a school and add a few more to that school, I think it would be more of a success. Also rams prefer densely planted areas with a few open spaces.

Unless you want them to breed, and I would recommend against it, get all male mollies. Also, balloon varieties frequently come with health issues so watch out.

Having said that, if you are looking for small plants, I would go with anubias nana, a. barteri, some smaller species of sword, microswords, and crypts should all do well. You could also add in some java fern as it grows easily and fills up spaces really well.

acorsing to what ive read 25 degrees isnt too low and i know the issues with mollies breeding and balloon molly health issues the corys are 2 groups of three from of a  smaller tank so what numbers would you recomend increasing these too if the rams wouldnt suit i do have a red tail shark that is very small at the moment maybe this wouls be better until he gets big for the tank which i will sort out closer to the time will look into the plants
p.s ive had this red tail for a while and he is extremely docile and has never squabled for sapce or with any of the corydoras mollies or neon tetra i have kept him with before also will get all male or female mollies
ty for all thge information

attibones said:
25 is too cool for the rams. I also would not put rams in a tank with two schools of corydoras. That's too much competition for space. Having said that, I don't think two schools of corydoras is a good idea anyway, considering you've not got the largest base dimensions. If you choose between a school and add a few more to that school, I think it would be more of a success. Also rams prefer densely planted areas with a few open spaces.

Unless you want them to breed, and I would recommend against it, get all male mollies. Also, balloon varieties frequently come with health issues so watch out.

Having said that, if you are looking for small plants, I would go with anubias nana, a. barteri, some smaller species of sword, microswords, and crypts should all do well. You could also add in some java fern as it grows easily and fills up spaces really well.

The rams will live in 22-30 degrees, but it is my experience that they thrive at the upper limit of that. 

If you've already got three of each species and cannot or will not move one of the groups somewhere else, then go ahead and fill the proper schools, but make proper adjustments with lower level fish. I don't know much about the shark except that a twenty-nine is too small long term. Also they tend to be aggressive, but I'm not sure if that is something that comes with age or not. If you think yours will work and you've got it in a smaller tank, upgrade it, but know you'll need a larger tank again.

Oh, mosses would look really cool on your mountain scape. You could attach them to rocks or branches sticking out against the rock to look like trees on a mountain and you could attach mosses to fill out those "trees."

look into dirt substrate.. easier to grow healthy plants for a high and low tech set up.
if you choose sand then you'll need to use root taps anyways.
also research before buying any plants.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back