29-gallon aquarium stocking ideas

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bettafishlover86

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have 1 male veiltail betta fish, neon tetras, 1 otocinclus cat, and 2 ghost shrimp. I am getting a 29-gallon aquarium soon and I would like some stocking ideas. Any suggestions?

Definitely more neon tetras! I would aim for 8 minimum. More Otos too, though not sure how many would do well in that tank size. Because of the betta you are a bit limited on stocking. Maybe a group of 8+ Pygmy Cory catfish? Some snails and cherry shrimp are options too! Has the betta ever shown any aggression towards the other fish?

Definitely more neon tetras! I would aim for 8 minimum. More Otos too, though not sure how many would do well in that tank size. Because of the betta you are a bit limited on stocking. Maybe a group of 8+ Pygmy Cory catfish? Some snails and cherry shrimp are options too! Has the betta ever shown any aggression towards the other fish?
My betta fish is pretty nice for a male betta. He has never shown any aggression towards any of my other fish.

Hello everyone, I have 1 male veiltail betta fish, neon tetras, 1 otocinclus cat, and 2 ghost shrimp. I am getting a 29-gallon aquarium soon and I would like some stocking ideas. Any suggestions?
hello! i reccomend more tetras if you have less than 6 and more ghost shrimp and more otos to a total of 6 otos
they will show natural behavior and will be a lot less stressed! also free ghost shrimp if they end up breeding

total of 6 otos
But remember to not add any additional otos until the tank is about 6 months old. This will allow a good amount of biofilm to develop. A lot of otos have a hard time adjusting and will tend to refuse prepared foods.

If possible, add some hardscape or stuff from the old tank that are covered in algae to the new one so that the otos can eat things that they are used to

I personally really like guppies because if their color variations. But be careful! For optimal safety only female guppies should be put in there because male guppies will try and mate with the betta- something that is a sure way to irritate the betta no matter how non aggressive. And if the female guppies give birth; the betta will make quick work of the fry if you don’t want them.

I had a female betta with my female guppies for a couple months just fine, but had to relocate my betta because she bit the eye out of one of my Cory catfish that was also in the tank (the Cory is still alive and is very healthy. He made a full recovery). So just keep a watchful eye out for aggressive behavior! Such as stealing food from the other fish.

Personally I wouldn’t keep guppies with bettas again. I did it once when I was inexperienced. Regardless of the fact that they will get their fins nipped relentlessly and fill the tank with babies, they need hard water while bettas need soft water. Incompatible water parameters

Personally I wouldn’t keep guppies with bettas again. I did it once when I was inexperienced. Regardless of the fact that they will get their fins nipped relentlessly and fill the tank with babies, they need hard water while bettas need soft water. Incompatible water parameters
Ohhhh really? Interesting! It’s fascinating how people can have such different experiences. My lady never chased after female guppies. In that case, maybe no guppies. Really depends on your betta! 🤣

My lady also chased after fry like no tomorrow. So I never had an issue with fry until I put her in her own tank 🤣.

Ohhhh really? Interesting! It’s fascinating how people can have such different experiences. My lady never chased after female guppies. In that case, maybe no guppies. Really depends on your betta! 🤣

My lady also chased after fry like no tomorrow. So I never had an issue with fry until I put her in her own tank 🤣.
It was my sisters female betta who lived with them, and she was pretty good with them! Mine never had any fry though.

You cannot house a male Betta in with other fish. You have another thread today in which you ask for help because your betta is becoming aggressive to the neon tetras you have...this will only worsen no matter what. Please keep the betta on its own, in the 3.5 gallon tank you mention in the other thread.

The 29g can house peaceful fish with the neon tetras, and increase their group to 10-12. They will fare better for this. As for the otos, they need more but this can be a problem. I would get two or three more.

The above deals only with numbers. Can you post your water parameters, by which I mean the GH (general hardness) and pH of your source (tap) water? This is important, as some of the suitable fish here will be more sensitive to water parameters than the neons and we don't want to be suggesting fish that will not be healthy in your water.

You cannot house a male Betta in with other fish. You have another thread today in which you ask for help because your betta is becoming aggressive to the neon tetras you have...this will only worsen no matter what. Please keep the betta on its own, in the 3.5 gallon tank you mention in the other thread.

The 29g can house peaceful fish with the neon tetras, and increase their group to 10-12. They will fare better for this. As for the otos, they need more but this can be a problem. I would get two or three more.

The above deals only with numbers. Can you post your water parameters, by which I mean the GH (general hardness) and pH of your source (tap) water? This is important, as some of the suitable fish here will be more sensitive to water parameters than the neons and we don't want to be suggesting fish that will not be healthy in your water.
I will tell you the GH and PH once I get some testing strips. I have well water, and I think it is safer than city water.

I will tell you the GH and PH once I get some testing strips. I have well water, and I think it is safer than city water.

OK. Well water brings up the question of water softners...is there one of these attached to the tap you get the aquarium water out of?

yes, there is a water softener.

Ah, now you need to do the GH and pH test of the water before it goes through the softener. Many of these seem to be connected only to the kitchen faucet, so test the water from another faucet if you can, unless all are run off the softener. Softeners frequently use sodium chloride salts (common salt) in place of the calcium and magnesium salts, and sodium chloride is harmful to freshwater fish (when used permanently).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back