29 gallon aquarium pics NEW LIGHTING!!!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Pescado Guy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everone!!

I just wanted to post a few pics of my tank. Right now it still has plastic plants but I am upgrading all of the features so that I can keep live plants. I just finished with the lighting. I have 6 18 watt T8 NO flourecent bulbs in a DIY canopy. I don't have a good picture of the canopy but I plan on getting one soon. So here is a picture of the tank! Sorry its a bit blury but my camera isn't the greatest. It is soooooo bright compared to my old 20 watt bulb :no: Any comments would be great!!!

Kevin

Attachments

• jm_edited.jpg
    jm_edited.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 72
Yes!! I finally got the picture to upload! first time! :flex: Anyway, here is a picture of the inside of the canopy so you can see all of the lights on. The camera had to darken it a ton so that you could see with all of the brightness. I have 3 5500K bulbs (white ones) and 3 5000K bulbs (purple ones). These are the ones ZooMed recomends for live plants so I hope I got the right ones. I'll be posting more pictures as my project comes along. I'll be getting 30lbs of flourite along with a ton of fertilizers and a canister filter on wednesday. Thanks for looking!!

Kevin

Attachments

• untitled_edited.jpg
    untitled_edited.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 66
If you don't mind, might I ask how much the cover cost you?

I,m thinking of builing one myself as I too only have a 15 watt for my 20 gallon tank...

No Problem. I wish I could show you a whole picture of the canopy but I don't have access to a digital camera. I got the wood at Home Depot. I just used finishing pine which looks decent. I spent about $14 on the wood. The workhorse 8 ballast was $37 from www.naturallighting.com however I could have easily gotten away with using a $20 one. I just liked the fact that the workhorse 8 can power PC lights and even VHOs and since I might need these someday I figured I would just get the ballast right now. The bulbs were $35 for all of them from www.drsfostersmith.com. Also the bulb sockets were $10 for all of them. So total with the cheaper ballast would be around $70 for all 6 bulbs. Any more questions please ask!

Kevin

Wow!! Those are pretty cheap! But then again you still gotta buy the bulbs which are also pretty expensive. Thanks for the site though.

Kevin

Looking good mate. Will you be adding reflectors too? What will you plant first? May I recommend some fast growers to out-compete the algae which will love your bright light (sorry if you knew that already!!) What co2 system will you use? At nearly 4 wpg you'll get really fast growth, you'll be needing some good pruning scissors!! Keep us updated, excellent work.

Hi!

Ok to answer a few questions:

Yes I will be using reflectors, I just havent gotten around to making them. I know using a reflector will make a ton more light so i figgure i might as well. :D

As for now I am going to use a DIY co2 system but I am fully aware that this may not cut it due to the high lighting. Within a month I will be getting the pressurized co2 system with the milwaukee controller from www.glass-gardens.com.

gf225, I would love it if you would recomend some fast grwoing plants to battle the algae. I have a few ideas but go ahead! Thanks

maestro, yeah the one ballast powers all six!! That was the reason I got the Workhorse 8. They are VERY high quality and not really too expensive. The WH8 can even power 6 48" 32 watt T8s, two 96 watt PCs or 3 55 Watt PCs, and even two 110 Watt VHOs!!!!!!!!!Thats really nice IMO

Any more questions please ask away!!! Thanks

Kevin

Ok, I also have one question about the reflectors. Due to the fact that the bulbs cover the whole inside of the hood I am unabld to put any reflector on the side of them. I hope you understand what I'm saying, so the only thing that i can do for a reflector to use a flat refective surface between the bulbs and the wood on the hood. So I have thought of a couple ideas from sheet metal to tin foil but one of my friends just told me that he has a huge mirror in his garage just sitting around. He said that if I could cut it I could have a piece. I have a glass cutter so I think I might try this. What do you all think of this idea? Will it be good? Any problems? Thanks a ton!!!!

Kevin

Hi,

Today I just got all of the other supplies I will be needing other than the plants. The Fluval 204 is working quite well, although it has only been a few hours. :D I got the Flourite and I absolutly LOVE the color of it. It has the perfect amount of black and red and brown. So I took it down to my laundry room sink and started rinsing. Two hours and 500 gallons later what do I end up with? Dirty flourite!!!! Ahhhhhhh. Everyone told me this stuff was messy but I had no idea. I have basically given up on rinsing it more. It's pretty good as long as you don't go crazy stiring it up. I wish I could get some pictures up but I don't have a digital camera. I had to borrow someones to get the first few. I NEED one sooooo bad. lol I hope to be getting a few plants within the next couple days once everything settles. I'll keep you all posted on my progress and hopefully get some pics soon. Can any of you recomend a few fast growing plants to start out with to battle the algae that will be compatible with my fish? Thanks!

Kevin

Sorry for the delay mate. Fast growers - Shinnersia rivularis (Mexican Oak Leaf), Ludwigia sp., Hygrophila sp. (especially polysperma), Vallisneria sp., Limnophila sessiflora (Ambulia). Most floating plants will be good too.

The mirror sound a good idea, try it with and without and see the difference.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back