26 gallon tank.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys, I found an amazing deal for a 26 gallon and decided to buy it to eventually move my current fish in my 20 which are 6 glowlight danio, 8 Pygmy cories and 5 bronze corys. Im really happy w harmony and numbers at the minute and all fish seem really happy and healthy. I was wondering if at all to add anything fun etc! Now the tank is larger

Can you post the tank dimensions, esp length and width. And the GH and pH.

Ph around neutral GH like 140-150 fairly hard and I’m not 100% sure on tank dimensions but it’s a 26L it’s wider than it is tall

Maybe 4-6 more glowlight danios? :D
Yeah, I was considering doing that, I’m happy and sticking w Pygmy Cory numbers. I was considering maybe getting a pair of like more expensive cool corys like the venezualan orange Cory or something

I agree to increase the glowlight danios. They do better with a larger group, and they are small and such fish are always more "relaxed" the more there are, which really is no surprise.

Other upper level fish you could consider...Pristella Tetra (Pristella maxillaris), Penguin Tetra (Thayeria obliqua) for the surface area. These can manage with the GH; not intending all of them, but something to choose from. Groups of 8-9 of whichever.

Corydoras...not wild caught (the Lasers likely would be) as these will not tolerate harder water well. The pygmy you have are likely going to have issues with this, but you have them. The bronze (Corydoras aeneus) are better suited, and another is C. paleatus.

I agree to increase the glowlight danios. They do better with a larger group, and they are small and such fish are always more "relaxed" the more there are, which really is no surprise.

Other upper level fish you could consider...Pristella Tetra (Pristella maxillaris), Penguin Tetra (Thayeria obliqua) for the surface area. These can manage with the GH; not intending all of them, but something to choose from. Groups of 8-9 of whichever.

Corydoras...not wild caught (the Lasers likely would be) as these will not tolerate harder water well. The pygmy you have are likely going to have issues with this, but you have them. The bronze (Corydoras aeneus) are better suited, and another is C. paleatus.
Okay perfect, I may look into some tetras to keep now thanks :))

Is there anyway I can add other danios in the tank for the glowlight? Or will it not work

Is there anyway I can add other danios in the tank for the glowlight? Or will it not work

It will "work" but it will not be as good for the fish. Numbers really do matter, and smaller sized fish experience this even more than larger. I don't doubt that you want what is best for the fish, so increase the glowlight danios and then consider other species.

I realize this is a difficult concept to get across--at least it must be considering the number of members who keep asking "why" in effect--but each species has an inherent expectation for certain things and when these are provided for, the fish will be less stressed which means healthier, and they are more likely to be "happy" though that is something none of us can tell. Except that by providing what the fish expects we are more likely to be approaching "happy."

More Corys would always be great. The basic "6 fish minimum rule", is just for beginners. It is recommended to have 9-12 Cory's in a tank.

More Corys would always be great. The basic "6 fish minimum rule", is just for beginners. It is recommended to have 9-12 Cory's in a tank.
I’ve currently got a 20 gallon which is why i haven’t done that. I wouldn’t consider myself a total beginner anymore, just with grouping behaviour for example knowing why certain fish won’t work still need to get head around. I currently do weekly 50% water changes and feed moderately a varied diet and my ammonia levels never flinch! I guess I can probably add more fish than I expect, just alwuas like being conservative in fear of unhappiness crampedness etc

It will "work" but it will not be as good for the fish. Numbers really do matter, and smaller sized fish experience this even more than larger. I don't doubt that you want what is best for the fish, so increase the glowlight danios and then consider other species.

I realize this is a difficult concept to get across--at least it must be considering the number of members who keep asking "why" in effect--but each species has an inherent expectation for certain things and when these are provided for, the fish will be less stressed which means healthier, and they are more likely to be "happy" though that is something none of us can tell. Except that by providing what the fish expects we are more likely to be approaching "happy."
Thanks so much for help, I was saying more only if they’d school together which now ikclearly won’t happen!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back