230 Gallon Reef Tank.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Well after waiting a few more days getting it tested again and adding some more live rock from my brothers tank I went ahead and broke down the 25 gallon tank that was holding my clownfish and neon goby. After acclimating them for about three hours I added them to the 230 gallon tank last week and they are doing great and seem to love the new swimming space.

I pulled a stupid move and cleaned the tank a bit right before taking the pics so it's slightly cloudy.
image.jpg

The clownfish has chosen the left side of the tank as his and hangs there almost all the time.
image.jpg

The neon goby purches above the clown most of the time. They buddies though and at night sleep side by side.
image.jpg

Also started to add my clean up crew so far I've got 14 various hermits in the main tank and 5 in the refugium. I'm anticipating needing somewhere around 50 of these for the main tank when I'm fully stocked and another 35 or so in the fuge along with other clean up crew members.
image.jpg

Another big step is I decided on my permanent lighting and after about 4 hours of sitting down doing math and writing everything out I decided against metal halides which I was going to do. What beat them out was the Kessil 360 wide LED pendant lights with programable light spectrum and intensity? They are initially rather expensive but have a 10+ year life and when figuring it I used the assumption that they would only get 8 years of life just to be safe. It still came out to be cheaper in every way over the metal halides and avoids a lot of annoying work like replacing bulbs building a hood that can handle both heat and provide ventilation. So the LEDs where a good choice IMO. I got two of the lights to hang above my two main columns of rock since I'm going with mostly soft and low light corals these lights will work great and the few hareder high light corals are going to be situated on the tops of the rock columns so more then enough light there. In the future when funds allow I may get two smaller LED fixtures to put over the two ends of the tank to even out light and give me more room for higher light corals but for now these will do just fine for my starting corals.

Just unpacked.
image.jpg

They put out an amazing amount of light for the small area they take up.
image.jpg

My next update will show how I hang them and what they look like in action.
Also a LFS is moving from my area so I picked up some hammer tip coral and mushrooms that I couldn't pass up since they gave me a deal so I will also have those in the next update :)

Thanks saw really trying my best on this one so its good to know I'm doing ok :)

Looks like it, mines complete crap and im a little lost on where to go, but im sure ill figure it out lol

I know I said next update would include corals but the hammer heads and mushrooms I purchased are being held in my brothers tank since he was the one to pick them up and we wanted to give them a chance to calm down to avoid over stressing them to soon again after a move from the store.
But got the lights hung today so figured I'd show them off.

I attached two 5 foot pieces of unistrut to my ceiling above the tank and added 2 threaded channel nuts to each section. Then threaded in two I hooks in each section and hung the lights from them using 1/16 wire cable.
This cable is rated for 94 lbs but these lights weigh about 2 lbs so it's obvuiosly way over kill but that's how I like to do things. Once I got the distance above the tank I wanted I crimped the wire in place and tested its strength before letting the lights hang. As I said in my last update I fully intend to get 2 more lights as money allows and so with this in mind I set it all up so I could hang more lights and so any lights I hange can be moved back and forth to hang and point wherever I want in the future. Now since I intend to build a canopy sometime in the futre I wasn't really trying to make the hanging system look good so while it could be made to look much better if someone wanted it to I like how it came out for me.
Now after all this boring reading the good part
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The light could be blended better and when I get more lights this problem will go away. But the reason I have it this way right now is my new corals will be placed on the columns of rock so that's where the main light needs to be right now.
image.jpg

Think the lights were a good choice over halides, much cheaper running costs and easier to maintain on the long run.

And absolutely nothing wrong with over engineering something if it gives you that much more peace of mind, I often do this myself just to be 100% sure.

Tank looking good now and stocking getting there along with clean up crew :lol:

Thanks Ch4rlie. I'm really looking forward to getting more fish in it and the new corals. I'm gonna try to get over to that LFS that's closing down and moving to see if they will give me a deal on a Sailfin tang and a copperband butterfly fish so maybe there will be new fish in the next update :)

So last night my brother brought me the coral he was holding for me. It's a short tentacled hammer head coral.
I also picked up a cute little clownfish to pair up with my other clown and they seem to be getting along great.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ive been mia for a while but glad i had a nose on your thread looking great mate :)

Wish i had a sump room instead of a tight cupboard :( haha

Yeah the tight cupboard thing made me realize really fast I needed to do something else. I hate working in small places so I'm glad I had a bigger space on this tank to work with.

Got 6 green chromas and they are doing great I also added a frag of frogspawn which is doing good.

image.jpg

They are all huge beggars and come over to me whenever I get close to the tank.
image.jpg

The chromas are very hard to get a clear pic of since they literally never ever stop moving so I'm sorry about the blurry pics of them.
image.jpg

I also got a royal gramma basslet that is very pretty.
image.jpg

Most reactions

Back