22 gallon Small river based aquarium journal.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a beneficial bacteria starter that works.
Think it is the bacterial starter that gives the false impression your tank is cycled.

My two cents about the stocking and such.
28C is too warm (by far) for all mentioned fish old and new).

The male DG will be constantly in matingmood (induced by temperature) with issues cause of that. Agression, wanting to build a bubblenest, chasing the female raround and maybe even killing it. Also there are no floaters and no plants as hidingplaces for the female after spawning.

The footprint ot this tank is rather small for Corys as well is the numbre insufficiant in my opinion.

I'd seriously would rethink about stocking.
The mentioned small barbs would be great (lower temp)

In that case, put a lot of fish food into a small container of water and wait until it starts to rot. Test it with your ammonia tester and if it reaches the highest level on the chart, use that water to add to the tank. Let the tnak run half an hour to let it all mix together, then test the tank water for ammonia to see what level it is. Then test again 24 hours later.

The plants in the tank look like 3 anubias. These are slow growing plants which will not take up much ammonia. If you can get some more plants, they would also help. One which is useful is Egeria densa, this is sold in the UK as elodea and in the USA as anacharis, but I don't know what it's called in Australia. This is a stem plant which can either be grown with the end of the stem in the substrate or left to float on the surface. If you get a lot of that then wait till you see new growth at the end of every stem, then you can get a few fish. But take two photos, one of the tank when you first get the new plants, then another to show the new growth and post them both on here so we can see if there's enough new growth.
Also, this is super fast growing. Mine grew to 3ft long in 3 weeks!
Other fast growing plants:
water sprite
water wisteria
Frogbit(floating plant)

With the equipment in place, water temperature balanced and the layout suiting your tastes, I’m sure you’ll be itching to get fish in to your new aquarium – but patience is a big part of the hobby.​

A healthy aquarium relies hugely on harbouring beneficial bacteria but in a new system we are bacteria free. So, how do we gain the bacteria that we need?
There are three approaches – the right way, the quick way and the wrong way. A lot of the old guard (including myself) grew up on doing it the wrong way, known as ‘fish-in cycling’, so the practice is still widely advised and practiced.

Fish-in cycling is based on adding ‘hardy’ species a matter of days after setting the tank up. These fish pollute the water which eventually encourages the growth of beneficial bacteria. The problem – fish are contained within polluted water for several weeks, compromising their health. New tank syndrome and being put off fishkeeping is often the result.

The safer way to mature an aquarium
is known as a ‘fishless cycle’. This method sees us adding and monitoring the equivalent of fish waste, for a few weeks, to encourage bacterial growth. Ammonia is the toxic by-product expelled by fish and we can add this – either porpose made aquarium products or pure, household ammonia.

Not only does this avoid keeping your first fish in poor conditions, it also allows a higher level of pollution – resulting in a stronger colony of beneficial bacteria (bio filter). The bonus for the fish keeper is that, once ready for fish, your filter can support far more fish than at the same point with a fish-in cycle. Also, you’re not restricted to only introducing Hardy fish.

Your the one who told me when ammonia and nitrites are at 0 I can add my fish, now your saying this is wrong? You also said nitrates will go up, they did and now your saying no, that doesn't make much sense to me.
When did you add the FIRST dose of ammonia????

Think it is the bacterial starter that gives the false impression your tank is cycled.

The male DG will be constantly in matingmood (induced by temperature) with issues cause of that. Agression, wanting to build a bubblenest, chasing the female raround and maybe even killing it. Also there are no floaters and no plants as hidingplaces for the female after spawning.

The footprint ot this tank is rather small for Corys as well is the numbre insufficiant in my opinion.

OK, I'll add some java Moss or something

And I'll lower the temp to 26 so the female doesn't get annoyed, and the Java Moss.

The dimensions are technically too small for gourami, but not by much to be honest. I would consider a single male, it will be difficult for the female to run away and hide when the husband is building the building the bubble nest. Dwarf gouramis are less gentle as regards that sort of thing than other gouramis. Though much gentler than three spots....

The dimensions are technically too small for gourami, but not by much to be honest. I would consider a single male, it will be difficult for the female to run away and hide when the husband is building the building the bubble nest. Dwarf gouramis are less gentle as regards that sort of thing than other gouramis. Though much gentler than three spots....
If we can't come up with a way, (I'm making a fish breeding business and I want to breed them, I have a fry tank that's 3 gallons) if we can't up with a way to keep them together ill get 1 male, but what should I add in substitute for the other goumari. Maybe a coolie liach or something :^) thanks for the warning!

keep fish for a year or 2 first before you even consider breeding them for money @Obsessed with fish

breeding fish is totally different to just keeping them
Really? My nerites had a batch of about 40 snails yesterday, people all told me the eggs would not hatch in fresh water, only brackish and they did so now I have 40 baby snails. I don't want to kill them so ill sell them or something :^)

keep fish for a year or 2 first before you even consider breeding them for money @Obsessed with fish

breeding fish is totally different to just keeping them
I'll try to do it, @itiwhetu encouraged me to it, just a thanks to him/her. I have done lots of research on it. I'll try, if I can't breed them I'll wait a little longer. :^)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back