22 gallon Small river based aquarium journal.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.

Obsessed with fish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi, my nitrates have exelled drastically and my ammonia and nitrites are at 0 ppm. I will add the following fish:

2 dwarf goumaris (1 male and 1 female)

5 cory catfish (3 banded corys)

8 neon tetras.

I will add the tetras and corys tomorrow and the goumaris next week. My water parameters:

Ph: 7.3

Nitrites: 0ppm

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrates: 8ppm

Temperature: 28 degrees celcius.

This is a photo of my tank now:

I'll send pics of the tank with fish tomorrow and I'll give updates regularly.

20211021_190549.jpg

Last edited:
Fine...I am done trying to get you to understand things properly and to be more patient and stop rushing everything

You have lost fish entirely due to your impatience and lack of care before, please don't ask for help when this new batch of fish die too

You're not prepared to listen or follow advice or instructions from anyone and haven't done so for the last month or so, instead you become petulant and childish.

I pity the poor fish tbh cos their owner refuses to listen or take perfectly good advice.

Fine...I am done trying to get you to understand things properly and to be more patient and stop rushing everything

You have lost fish entirely due to your impatience and lack of care before, please don't ask for help when this new batch of fish die too

You're not prepared to listen or follow advice or instructions from anyone and haven't done so for the last month or so, instead you become petulant and childish.

I pity the poor fish tbh cos their owner refuses to listen or take perfectly good advice.
Your the one who told me when ammonia and nitrites are at 0 I can add my fish, now your saying this is wrong? You also said nitrates will go up, they did and now your saying no, that doesn't make much sense to me.

And I don't remember the part were i lost my lack of care.
My maintenance routine:

A 50% water change every week.

Srubs glass 2-3 times a week.

Vaccumes gravel once a week.

Cleans plants 1-2 times a week.

Feeds 1-2 times a day with 1-2 quick days a week.

Just because the first ammonia has dropped to zero doesn't mean there are enough bacteria. How much ammonia did you start with and how long did it take to drop to zero?

A tank is cycled when it can convert 3 ppm ammonia to zero ammonia and zero nitrite in 24 hours. Have you tested your tank by adding 3 ppm ammonia yet?

You have been using food to make ammonia if I remember correctly? With this method, there is no way to know how many bateria have grown so fish must be added very slowly, a few at a time, and even then there's a risk of going into a fish-in cycle.

Just because the first ammonia has dropped to zero doesn't mean there are enough bacteria. How much ammonia did you start with and how long did it take to drop to zero?

A tank is cycled when it can convert 3 ppm ammonia to zero ammonia and zero nitrite in 24 hours. Have you tested your tank by adding 3 ppm ammonia yet?

You have been using food to make ammonia if I remember correctly? With this method, there is no way to know how many bateria have grown so fish must be added very slowly, a few at a time, and even then there's a risk of going into a fish-in cycle.
I added 2 full doses and 3 snack doses. The nitrites did go down in about 15-24 hours on the last dose. I'm 90% sure I got to 3ppm at the last full dose. Have I done anything wrong :^) and ok, instead of all the tetras and corys in the 1st week ill just add the corys, then the neons, then the goumaris.

I'm sorry I have to say this, BUT. Neon's need soft/acid water a tank that is fully planted, I mean over 50% of the volume of the tank. Plus, the tank needs to be established for at least six months and then you may have a chance of making them happy.

It just seems too fast. Last time I did a fishless cycle it took 48 days.

Did you actually get some ammonia - I seem to remember your mother wouldn't let you get any (though I may be mixing you up with someone else) and it's very difficult to measure how much ammonia has gone in the tank with using fish food.

I'm sorry I have to say this, BUT. Neon's need soft/acid water a tank that is fully planted, I mean over 50% of the volume of the tank. Plus, the tank needs to be established for at least six months and then you may have a chance of making them happy.
hmmmm, ok ill find a replacement for the neon tetras.

It just seems too fast. Last time I did a fishless cycle it took 48 days.

Did you actually get some ammonia - I seem to remember your mother wouldn't let you get any (though I may be mixing you up with someone else) and it's very difficult to measure how much ammonia has gone in the tank with using fish food.
hmmm, this is abit of a mystery. Ill search up the fastest a tank can cycle and ill look at 10 different websites and tell you all what i have found out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back