22 Aquariums Wiped Out!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rorie

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have my 22 tanks in my fish room. They all run as individual tanks and are not linked in any way. They all have sponge air driven filers rather than box filters.

I did a water cvhange two days ago, came in today, and every fish is dead except one tanks!

Tested the water obviously, all is fine other than 2.0ppm of ammonia. I am not sure if thats due to all the dead fish though. Everything else is fine. I checked the chlorine too and its zero.

One tank which has some fish just about alive is my bolivian ram tank. The rams are all sluggish, lying at the bottom of the tank. One has a white/clear growth around its eye. Maybe this could point to something?

I just tested my tap water and there is some ammonia in it. So what can i do? If i use HMA filter from now on, i surly need to add somethign to the water before adding to my tank? Normally mix with tap water but if there is ammonia in the tap water then thats obvioulsy a no no!

Sorry to hear that
Just a thought but have you contacted the water company they might admit to some problem, that then might help you with some compensation. The other thing that comes to my mind is gas. Has your fish room got the house central heating boiler in it?

Sorry to hear that mate, contact the water provider, defo.

Yeah mate soz to hear that. That really sucks. How many fish did you lose?

The water company are coming out tonight apparently. There is defo ammonia in the tap water, i just hope his test kit shows the same! If there is ammonia, then i can claim back.

I have lost 10 angels, a breeding pair of discus, 10 rams, 10 kribs, 20 treadfin rainbows, 20 odessa barbs, 5 Blue Acara Cichlid, 5 ZEBRA Convict Cichlid, 2 COMMON Dwarf Gourami, 5 Pearl / Lace Gourami, 20 Neon Blue Dwarf Rainbow

The annoying thing is that i just got the fish 1 month or so ago :(

Oh man,so sorry to hear that, it's awful! :(

Oh nooo! that's terrible news! How are your posts so calm?! I would be hysterical!!!
cry1.gif

That's a hell of a lot of fish. I really hope that things turn out okay with the water company.

This is horrible really. I would be devastated. It's worth getting a dechlorinator like Prime that will at least detoxify ammonia for a period of time until the filter gets a chance at the increased ammonia.
There could be something else bar ammonia in the water. I know ammonia is toxic but to wipe out 21 tanks in 2 days it's still suspicious and there could be other chemical that caused this mass wipe out so don't leave the water company go away with just an ammonia reading.

Gah, after all the research and effort you put into setting this up!

So sorry to hear this. Do keep us posted.

That sucks as bad as it sounds hopefully it is the water so you get the compensation :harsh:

the fools decided they couldnt come out the same day and postponed the visit to Monday..... i will be really annoyed if the results then show zero! Either way, i will be submitting a complaint and asking them to replace my fish!

Snazy, you make a good point.... i will ask them to check everything. But the same thing could happen if the 'bad water' has gone by the time they test!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back