210g spotted congo puffer tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FallenPepper

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm upgrading my 75g to a 210 for my freshwater puffers but not too sure what other kind of fish i want with them. I tend to have bards and tetras with them but looking for suggestions for oddball fish to possibly have with them.

IM pretty sure puffers prefer solitude, or to be with their own species. @Byron an @Colin_T are the species experts though. ;)

I've kept these guys for years together now they just swim in the bubbles and currents together never had a nipping issue though they do like to check out other fish or swim with them.

I see, what kind of tetras do you keep with them usually? I'm asking so I can get an idea of what you want.

I've had congo and cave tetras though I moved the caves to a different tank because I had some sharper pieces of wood in the tank and they would bump into them after a water change. And many barbs along with minnows but most are in my girlfriend's tank with her rainbow shark and flag tail cats. Mostly looking for a larger small fish around 3 inch though I'm looking at a bunch of freshwater gobies

Puffer fish are basically not good community fish, and it is always best to keep them in a species tank (on their own, one puffer species). Having said that, there are some exceptions possible...but not here.

Congo Puffer (Tetraodon miurus) is not a community fish. Seriously fish has this:

It is not really safe to house this species with anything else! It is a voracious predator that will eat any fish it can fit in its mouth, and will usually take chunks from larger tankmates. It is also completely intolerant of conspecifics. Some aquarists have had success keeping it with armoured Loricariids.​

Just for anyone interested, with those puffer species that might manage in a community tank, you have to very carefully consider all the individual requirements/behaviours of the fish to ensure each species is truly compatible. For example, puffers are not fast feeders, so any "aggressive feedeing" fish will not make good tankmates. "Aggressive feeeders" does not necessarily mean physical aggression, it means the species is a ravenous determined eater and fish that are not similarly inclined teend to get frightened, and may even refuse to eat. Loaches are more aggressive feeders than corydoras catfish, which is why these two groups should never be together. Danios (like the Zebra) are aggressive eaters and should never be housed with slow eaters like gourami. And so forth. Another issue is fin nipping, by pufferfish and some other non-puffer species, either way or both.

It's the spotted congo puffer and Amazon puffers that I have all my other puffers arei n their own tank . So the community puffers are in the 210 looking for some possible oddball fish

It's the spotted congo puffer and Amazon puffers that I have all my other puffers arei n their own tank . So the community puffers are in the 210 looking for some possible oddball fish

Unfortunately there are none suitable, as noted in the linked profile. :fish:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back