20Ish Gallon Predators?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Deroplatys

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Im no good at math, but i have an empty tank at least 70 long, 40something cm high and deep, i think its about 20 gallons.
I havent set it up yet, i was allowed my own fish tank for years, not that i am theres a bit of a space issure so it wont be set up for a while.
Any idea's for anything that could fit happily in there?
Are the any good oddballs or Channa sp. small enough?

Sleeper gobies, some of the puffers. I believe there are some dwarf snakeheads, but I live in the states and they are all illegal.

Thanks, been doing some browsing since and came up with dwarf snakeheads, which is a nice surpise, one of my most wanted fish :D

20g is still too small for Dwarf Snakeheads IMO they get to a chunky 4 inches.

If you dont mind it being a single fish in the tank something like an Abei Puffer or a few other freshwater puffers would work :)

Wills

African Butterfly Fish are entertaining predators to watch eat but other then that at least when i had one they were kinda lazy. They are def an oddball though. Cling to the surface like glue. could put them and like a school of Cory's in a 20 gallon long if you dont mind a fish that likes to relax at the surface.

I have kept and keep snakeheads at the moment you will be fine with a Channa Bleheri In that tank or any other snakhead of a similar size, I recently bought a Channa Aurantimaculata such a nice fish,

Thanks for the input, realy like the look of the Channa bleheri. I know they do best in a species only tank, but my parents dont really like the idea of using the fish tank i've been allowed for just two fish right now. Are they easy to breed?
Really wanted to try breeding some kind of interesting fish and though with my own tank it would be a good opportunity.

Oh and what about C.ornatipinnis?
Are they the same sort of size?

try like 3 buck tooth tetras exodons really mean sons of guns trust me !!!!!!!!

So true about the Exodons. Piranhas are not even safe with them. Absolutely the meanest fish I've ever delt with. I think three would be too few. They would kill each other off. I think they need at least a four foot tank, and at least a dozen of them in it.

I think exodons would be a bad idea in this tank especially in a trio never going to work you need big schools and big filtraton to deal with it and over stock them to spread out the aggression.

wills

Those Exodens look pretty boring to me :p
So are there no Channa sp. that will fit in my tank?

I woundnt put any dwarf snake head in that tank to be honest. You could look into some dwarf pike cichlids. These might be useful "Crenicichla notophthalmus, Crenicichla regani or Crenicichla urosema" You could also try some wild betta's. they are micropredators and very beautiful

I totally disagree with what people have said about the channa

I have kept and bred Orientalis in that size tank and kept Assam also in the same sized tank with in my opinion no issues at all, In fact I think they appreciate a tank thats kept with loads of vegitation and dare I say it in a messy state where they can hide and feel safe. In fact I have a similar sized tank and if i could find cheap enough channa I would keep them again

I also have 2 Abei puffers in a similar sized tank and have had them about 8 months and they are great little characters in the tank with no aggression issues at all

I kust think a fish of such size deserves more space but thats my business. You should look into dwarf pike cichlids though

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back