20gallon Long Goldfish Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

PRW1988

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
How many fish could I stock in a 20gallon LONG tank, I was thinking of getting 3 or 4, I know the general rule is 10gallons to begin with then 5 gallons for ever other goldfish. The tank will be in my Dad's garage, so I was wondering during the winter season (where I live it can get to -23C or lower...) if I could just place 1 or 2 50watt heaters in the tank and would they be fine? Or would I be better off to take them inside during the winter months to prevent any possibility of freezing?

I thought the rule was 20 gallons for the first and 10 for each fish after :good:

The 20/10 "rule" only works for the first year or two for round-bodied goldfish. For long term success and health, round-bodied goldfish need at least a 55G 4' long tank for 2 goldfish but if they are properly cared for, they will out-grow the 55G tank also. I would say the minimum would have to be 30G per round bodied goldfish and 50G per long bodied goldfish. Here's my blog on a simple set of rules based on fish size and mass rather than just inches. http://goldlenny.blogspot.com/2007/02/new-...lace-1-per.html

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back