20gal tank ideas

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Rosenbaumn

Reaction score
I have a twenty gal tall hexagonal tank and I need stocking ideas. I am really set on khuli loaches but those are the only fish that I really want.
I was thinking of getting five khulis, 8 silver tip tetras and 2 dwarf gourami, I kind of wanted dwarf puffers but I know that they donā€™t get along with khulis. Is this too many fish if so what should I do? Any other good species other than khulis I want one colorful species and one quirky species with cool behaviors. Please give me ideas, the more species, the better

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness) and pH of your water supply. This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Has the tank been set up yet?

Each side is nine inches and itā€™s about two feet tall. I did not set it up yet, but I am going to be using small gravel and it isnā€™t going to be planted. The ph is about 7.2 and we recently got our water tested, our water was a little on the hard side but I donā€™t know the number and he said there was some chlorine but I have dechlorinator for that. I was thinking that a couple of guppies would be better than gouramis, but again please give me suggestions for any interesting fish. I forgot to mention that I am a beginner, however I have three experienced aquarium owners helping me out.

Based on your measurements, the distance between two opposite flat sides is just 15.5 inches. This will make it tricky to stock, regardless of the water. Fish swim horizontally rather then up and down, and swimming length is important. Both silver tip tetras and dwarf gouramis, for example, need at least 24 inches swimming room. But you might get away with guppies (or endlers) though I would prefer to see them in longer tanks than this hexagonal tank.
I know you want kuhli loaches, but they also need a tank with 24 inches swimming length. And they need soft water.

We do need to know how hard your water is; "a little on the hard side" is too vague. If you are on well water, take some tap water to a fish shop and ask them to test for GH and KH - make sure they give you numbers and units not some vague words. We need the unit as they could use any of half a dozen different units. However, if you are on mains water, look at your water provider's website.

The experienced aquarium owners may or may not be up to date with their knowledge. Listen to them by all means, then cross check on here. If any of them work in fish shops, don't believe anything they say!

Thank you so much! Do you by any chance have ideas for mid level and bottom swimmers that could fare well in this tank? I would like an algae eater as well

Thank you so much! Do you by any chance have ideas for mid level and bottom swimmers that could fare well in this tank? I would like an algae eater as well

Until we have specific numbers for the GH this question is rather impossible to answer.

Re the algae eater...is this to control algae? If yes, most of the fish that may eat algae are particular as to which species of algae they will eat.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back