20 Inch Metal Halides?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

crazyforcordoras

CLASH OF CLANS!!!!
Reaction score
Hello all!

I want to upgrade my tank light on my reef to metal halides. I need 20 inch lights, im not sure wich one to get. Do you guys know any?

Thanks! :good:

What size is the tank and what's in it? There are lots of MH choices---some people hang them, some have them in a hood, some use legs and sit on the tank, and some use a clamp-on (or several if needed). Need more info. :)

I'm not sure if you've considered LEDs, but the Kessil Light is AMAZING and would be perfect for your tank. One round pendant that hangs from the ceiling and it's in the $275.00 to $325.00 range.

What size is the tank and what's in it? There are lots of MH choices---some people hang them, some have them in a hood, some use legs and sit on the tank, and some use a clamp-on (or several if needed). Need more info. :)

I'm not sure if you've considered LEDs, but the Kessil Light is AMAZING and would be perfect for your tank. One round pendant that hangs from the ceiling and it's in the $275.00 to $325.00 range.

Or, and I'm absolutely NOT trying to sell you anything, I've got a MH clamp sitting out in the garage. It's not new and needs to be cleaned up, but it also would work for the size your talking about. It's 150w. so again, how many gallons and what's in it?

I went to Marine Depot's site and looked at metal halide lighting for a 10g. (I think that's what size your tank is). Your tank cannot support any more than a 75w. mh lamp and that's really pushing it. Seven and one/half watts per gallon is a lot and will burn lower or even medium light corals. If you got a pendant you could hang it higher so as to not fry them. That comes with a problem though, and that's if it's hung too high it reflects quite brightly into the room. You could get a 75w. clamp-on, but you cannot adjust the height so it would be sitting much closer to the water. Your best choice might well be a pendant.

WOOOO HOOOO :nod: Oh yeah, AWESOME choice!!! It's going to be spectacular and congrats! :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back