20 Gallon single cichlid community stocking ideas?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Filip

Reaction score
Hello!
I am fairly new to fishkeeping, only a few years (so nota complete beginner), and I want to take up a really nice centerpiece fish for my 20 Gallon high that I'm going to be setting up soon.
I was thinking a Kribensis, since it is small, pretty chill, and doesn't cost much. I was thinking of adding some live plants to help w/ the nitrogen cycle, and my stocking idea was this:
1x: Kribensis Cichlid
5x: Albino Cory
8x: Neon Tetra
Is this ok? I really want a nice centerpiece fish, other than a gourami, since I have had some bad experiences with them being aggressive.
I usually check my fish stocking on this website: http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php I usually go 10-20% bellow what it says is ok so it has a margin for error or room for babies...
I would also like to add some plants like Amazonian swords or anubias, easy plants since cichlids like to dig around in the gravel, so the plants should be ok?
I would appreciate any suggestions/tips you have!
oh, I have a 150 Marineland penguin filter!

What are your GH and ph? :)

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?
a 20h is 24in x 12in x 16in
Hello!
I am fairly new to fishkeeping, only a few years (so nota complete beginner), and I want to take up a really nice centerpiece fish for my 20 Gallon high that I'm going to be setting up soon.
I was thinking a Kribensis, since it is small, pretty chill, and doesn't cost much. I was thinking of adding some live plants to help w/ the nitrogen cycle, and my stocking idea was this:
1x: Kribensis Cichlid
5x: Albino Cory
8x: Neon Tetra
Is this ok? I really want a nice centerpiece fish, other than a gourami, since I have had some bad experiences with them being aggressive.
I usually check my fish stocking on this website: http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php I usually go 10-20% bellow what it says is ok so it has a margin for error or room for babies...
I would also like to add some plants like Amazonian swords or anubias, easy plants since cichlids like to dig around in the gravel, so the plants should be ok?
I would appreciate any suggestions/tips you have!
oh, I have a 150 Marineland penguin filter!
your tank plan sounds good. However an amazon sword will out grow a tank that small. Jut ask @NCaquatics

I have been looking, for a while, where they sell the Kribs online or in-store, but I can't find any in my state, and I really don't want to pay 40 dollars for shipping since it is almost what I paid for the entire decor for the tank...
Does anyone know how big the Petco/Petsmart ones get? I know it says "assorted African cichlids", but there are dwarf African cichlids, right? even if I were to scrap the tetras and just get some bottom feeders (probably panda) cories and a cichlid, I would be happy, since I want to try them out. Is that possible with the Petco/Petsmart ones if I were able to identify a dwarf version, if there are any?
Thanks!
I'll also measure the tank dimensions. ph is around 7-7.5. don't know Gh, but on the general test strips, water hardness always showed soft!

"Assorted African cichlids" usually means Rift Lake cichlids which need very hard alkaline water and are not compatible with tetras and cories. They also need a bigger tank than you have.
Kribs are soft water fish and are compatible with tetras and cories.

If your water actually is soft, south American dwarf cichlids could work, though the tank's footprint is a bit on the small side for them.

You can check your hardness by looking on your water provider's website.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back