20 Gallon Planted Journey

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Xzavier247

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Here is my 20 Gal, Bought a smaller tank this time to see if I want to do it again. Well while testing this phase my Daughter who is about 17 months absolutely loves this tank. So the Wife and I will be upgrading to a 200 Gal when we get our house. I am experienced in tank keeping and it would be nice to have a bigger scale again.
For new people who ask because "they know" The water parameters are NH3-0PPM NO2- 0PPM NO3- 0PPM PH-7.2 
Pictures of tank
Stand that I built "not finished" Going to pick up panels pretty soon and some stain. But not in a hurry.

Water is cloudy, Because I did a water change and my drift wood seems to be releasing more tannins, seems to be clearing up.
yes.gif

Quick vid on my new T5 HO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B0yZMiLLFk

welcomeani.gif
back to the hobby.

Good to hear you planning well ahead of everything and already got plans for a 200 gal tank! wow!

Decent little set up you've got so far.

What you planning on stocking?

Ch4rlie said:
welcomeani.gif
back to the hobby.

Good to hear you planning well ahead of everything and already got plans for a 200 gal tank! wow!

Decent little set up you've got so far.

What you planning on stocking?
Wife and I are still debating either freshwater or Marine reef tank. 
sad2.gif
 Experience in both areas but she likes salt water more just because of "nemo"
no.gif

Update.... My T5 is doing wonders for my swords. They look amazing so far. As for the new growth nice and green. Picked up a couple of new plants.... totally forgot about the names because i just wanted to buy them... The wife didn't catch it either..
IMG_20131104_181033_953_zps00f65a13.jpg

Love the dojo/weather loach poking out there :p

HHH said:
Love the dojo/weather loach poking out there
tongue2.gif
Thanks, Hes actually doing quite well. Hes not uprooting the plants which is cool.

7 Day update.
Everything looks great!
I picked up a clown pleco. Hopefully rehoming him in a 200 gal when we get our house. Pretty stoked. Traded in my DOJO :( I didn't want him to eat my shrimp so I rehomed him.

IMG_20131112_144742_328_zps2509457c.jpg

Well this morning was a bad one. The wife and I are getting ready to leave this morning on vaca and we noticed that the tetra vacation killed almost all of our stock :( really p off
IMG_20131114_082725_498_zps4a8d11f9.jpg

Tetra vacation? What is that? Did you take that photo during a water change? You also had a "7 day" update, did you cycle the filter? or was that 7 days from setting up the tank? 
sad2.gif

Am puzzled 
wacko.png

Like DTD asks what is this 'Tetra Vacation'?

If you could answer DTD's other questions as well that would help.

The only thing can think of is you possibly have a Tetra Tec external filter and thats gone faulty or something and caused water issues.

Also looking at your pics, looks like you had 2 black mollies, 3 or 4 guppies, some shrimps as well as the clown pleco.

Your last pic seems to show a guppy and a shrimp on R/H corner......and possibly the pleco as well in near middle, so not ALL of your stock has gone.

Unless they died after you took the pic 
confused.gif

Ch4rlie said:
Am puzzled 
wacko.png

Like DTD asks what is this 'Tetra Vacation'?

If you could answer DTD's other questions as well that would help.

The only thing can think of is you possibly have a Tetra Tec external filter and thats gone faulty or something and caused water issues.

Also looking at your pics, looks like you had 2 black mollies, 3 or 4 guppies, some shrimps as well as the clown pleco.

Your last pic seems to show a guppy and a shrimp on R/H corner......and possibly the pleco as well in near middle, so not ALL of your stock has gone.

Unless they died after you took the pic 
confused.gif
Sorry that I haven't been clear. The tank is cycled for almost a year.  "7 days" From getting my T5 HO.
Tetra Vacation "feeder" Fouled the water over night and killed most of my stock. Right now I am on vacation with the wife and we have somebody actually feeding what fish that I have left.
sad2.gif
 I get back on the 4th of december. Hopefully everything is ok for right now. My LFS has new shipments coming in when I get back so that is a +
Also I did record a video but I didn't want to offend any body with the lost fish.

Ah, ok got it now. My top tip for any future vacations you are on, unless you are going for more than 2 weeks, don't bother feeding your fish. They won't starve to death, and it can actually beneficial to fast them for short periods. In the wild fish don't find food everyday, and in temperate climates they can stop feeding altogether through the colder months. Salmon enter rivers to spawn and stop feeding throughout their whole period in freshwater(Atlantic salmon return to the sea after 6 months+ without food).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back