20 gallon long planting

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Morasea

Reaction score
Hi, Iā€™m in the process of scaping a new 20 gallon long. This will be my third planted tank and on this one I want to experiment with a couple new thingsšŸ™‚

So far I have Fluval stratum capped with fine gravel and a long piece of wood that goes throughout the tank to build off of. Iā€™m using a hygger light with 6500k white LEDs.

I was looking into different plants and so my plant list so far is:
-Anubias nana petite
-Dwarf sag
-Java fern or Christmas moss
-Crypts
-Green tiger lotus

I was wondering if anyone had ideas of small foreground and taller background plants I could use, along with other plants that grow well on wood.
The tank will be home to harlequin rasboras, a betta and corydoras. Thanks!

Hi, Iā€™m in the process of scaping a new 20 gallon long. This will be my third planted tank and on this one I want to experiment with a couple new thingsšŸ™‚

So far I have Fluval stratum capped with fine gravel and a long piece of wood that goes throughout the tank to build off of. Iā€™m using a hygger light with 6500k white LEDs.

I was looking into different plants and so my plant list so far is:
-Anubias nana petite
-Dwarf sag
-Java fern or Christmas moss
-Crypts
-Green tiger lotus

I was wondering if anyone had ideas of small foreground and taller background plants I could use, along with other plants that grow well on wood.
The tank will be home to harlequin rasboras, a betta and corydoras. Thanks!
I wouldnt put the betta in there.
They much prefer to be alone.

Could you post a picture of the tank as it is at the moment?

I wouldnt put the betta in there.
They much prefer to be alone.

Could you post a picture of the tank as it is at the moment?
CC498AEB-FB27-481E-AE40-D8E3678CD978.jpeg

This was the tank as of last week. The wood is currently soaking so it will sink once I fill it with water and so I can release some tannins from it.

i would not recommend cories, if you're going the path that is not a single betta, since they need sand to forage around in
my favorite background plant is Vallis. fast growing, and you can give it a haricut
my favorite general plant is bacopa carolina. fast growing, and easy to propogate.
hygrophila polysperma is also fast growing
another plant that will be worth the investment is MIcro-sword
it is like dwarf sag but smaller, and very slow growing. if you buy more for the start, it will grow like a lawn
it is very easy to grow, but just slow without Co2

i would not recommend cories, if you're going the path that is not a single betta, since they need sand to forage around in
my favorite background plant is Vallis. fast growing, and you can give it a haricut
my favorite general plant is bacopa carolina. fast growing, and easy to propogate.
hygrophila polysperma is also fast growing
another plant that will be worth the investment is MIcro-sword
it is like dwarf sag but smaller, and very slow growing. if you buy more for the start, it will grow like a lawn
it is very easy to grow, but just slow without Co2
Iā€™ve used micro swords in my low tech 5 gallon betta tank and although I love the plant, without co2 I find it extremely slow growing. Iā€™ve had it set up since January and it has grown nicely but it just barely has spread.

Bacopa is great idea and I think itā€™d look awesome in the back. I took a look at that hygro too so Iā€™ll see what the fish stores around my place have.

I've got some Hydrocotyle Vulgaris in one of my tanks at the moment and its growing really fast, it sends up a single leaf on top of a stem that gets about 2-3 cm and then sends out runners to make more making a bit of a clover effect. Would look really nice planted in the foreground around your wood.

I agree with @itiwhetu to get some fast growing stems in there too like Limnophilla Sessiflora or Cardamyne Lyrata.

Wills

7306120F-CD8A-4467-9804-E0DFD55786FB.jpeg

This is what Iā€™ve come out with so far. Iā€™ve put a large piece of Anubias barteri in the back corner and glued on buce and Anubias nana petite along the wood. I have some sort of hygrophila that looks like a fern too but I canā€™t remember the name and then I have a lily pad sort of plant in the left.

Will probably add some crypts for the foreground and keep looking for bacopa, dwarf sag and other stems for the the back. Thanks for your suggestions!

View attachment 163965
This is what Iā€™ve come out with so far. Iā€™ve put a large piece of Anubias barteri in the back corner and glued on buce and Anubias nana petite along the wood. I have some sort of hygrophila that looks like a fern too but I canā€™t remember the name and then I have a lily pad sort of plant in the left.

Will probably add some crypts for the foreground and keep looking for bacopa, dwarf sag and other stems for the the back. Thanks for your suggestions!
How about some vals for the back as well? You should also get some floaters.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back