20 gallon long betta tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Okay, here's my photo dump from the tear down and rebuild of this tank 😛

Shrimp arrived yesterday with only one DOA which is not bad, seeing as they shipped from CA to CT and it was over 90 degrees yesterday. Peach seemed uninterested in them, however today I've only been able to count 6 😅 could be hiding though as I did strategically set up the tank with plenty of places for them to hide. Time will tell I guess!

Only thing left that I'm waiting for is water lettuce, which should be here tomorrow.

Let me know what you think! 🙂

20210823_111544.jpg

20210824_112900.jpg
20210824_183646.jpg
20210826_104455.jpg
20210826_104148.jpg
20210825_161131.jpg
20210826_104219.jpg
20210825_161558.jpg

The remaining shrimp have colored up really nicely since they arrived - I'm still not sure exactly how many I have left and might never know at this rate 🤷‍♀️ I've not seen any shrimp carcasses so they're either all still there or Peach is eating them. I have seen him with a shrimp directly in front of him many times and he doesn't even seem to notice (confirming my suspicions he may be blind or very low-vision)

Giant val is doing well, already sending out runners and establishing a great root system. It came in with no roots and didn't want to stay down so I left it floating for several days and had a nice time watching the roots reaching down towards the substrate. It's now planted.

Echinodorus Rose plant is struggling - it came in a bit melty and out of the 3 plants, 2 of them have almost entirely melted away and have not developed any roots. I pulled off all of the dead/dying leaves/stems and will just hope for the best. One of them did develop some little tiny roots so I'm hoping at least one of them will make it. If not, maybe swords just aren't for this tank as everything else seems to do well.

Water lettuce is starting to get some nice root growth. I lost a good amount of those in shipping as well (damn New England August weather).

Dwarf sag and hygrophila corymbosa are doing better with most of the algae removed from the tank.

I can see some cyanobacteria developing in the gravel along the glass and still having some minor algae growth. The tank light has been on 12 hours a day so I'm definitely going to be shortening that to 8-9 hours. Still dosing with Flourish twice a week and performing 75% water changes once a week.

I have the two straggler Harlequin Rasboras left from my old school - I'm thinking of adding 12 celestial pearl danios but I'm not sure if that will look weird with the two random rasboras in there. Toying with the idea of rehoming them but hesitant to do so, paranoid they'd end up in a bad situation.

TLDR; all is well!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You can get your inside glass clean with these, perfectly safe for fish and shrimp, as long as you use the "Original": https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/mr-clean-magic-eraser-original-cleaning-pads-with-durafoam-3275704?cm_mmc=PSH|CNX|CCY|CCO|PM|0|sYd8GmsanUBCg1hepDKu53|0|0|0|0&cnxclid=16306762043861522203010090301008005

For hard-to-reach spots on inner glass, I something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GFDGJJW/?tag=ff0d01-20

Tank renovation came out well, good job

ooo nice, thank you!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I had ordered some shrimp for my goldfish tank... 11 of them. The seller said they were about an inch long. Too big to be eaten by a small goldfish. They were only about half that size. Either way, with no where else to put them, I put them in the goldfish tank. Haven't seen any since. All eaten by the goldfish. I was pretty sure that was going tp happen but nothing else I could really do... it definitely was irritating.

I had ordered some shrimp for my goldfish tank... 11 of them. The seller said they were about an inch long. Too big to be eaten by a small goldfish. They were only about half that size. Either way, with no where else to put them, I put them in the goldfish tank. Haven't seen any since. All eaten by the goldfish. I was pretty sure that was going tp happen but nothing else I could really do... it definitely was irritating.
Yeah, goldies and shrimp usually aren't a good combo

Get a 5.5G, and try the shrimp again? They don't need a fancy/expensive setup, but a mature tank is a plus

Yeah, goldies and shrimp usually aren't a good combo

Get a 5.5G, and try the shrimp again? They don't need a fancy/expensive setup, but a mature tank is a plus
Yeah I just decided against shrimp. Definitely not setting up another tank. Told the goldfish YOU'RE WELCOME FOR THE EXPENSIVE SNACK and let it go lol

Lol yeah, the highest number I've been able to count since adding in 19 shrimp is 9. The past few days I've only been able to see 4 at a time 😆 so they very well may have just been an expensive snack lol. They could be in hiding, but I think it may be the bigger onces that have survived, there were all different sizes in the shipment. But $35 for 20 shrimp including shipping, it was worth a shot 🤷‍♀️

Most reactions

Back