20 gal tall tank fish ideas

CDREMY

Reaction score
Was thinking of 6 Serpa tetras, 6 Cardinal and 4 Albino Corys. Is this over stocking or could I add another school of 6 tetras. Any other ideas greatly appreciated. Would like to stick with smaller fish.

Could you give us your ph, GH, and KH levels please?

That is almost over stocking as it is.

A 20g high tank is the same exact footprint of a 10g tank. I know that the 2 first species need to have a 20 gallon long tank. Cory cats need to be in groups of 6+.

Back to the Serpa Tetras, They prefer water temperatures ranging from 72–79 °F (22–26 °C). They will live better and show off their best colors in soft, neutral to slightly acidic water. As with any other schooling fish, they thrive in large groups and should be kept in schools of at least six fish. The tank should also be well-planted, providing shelter and hiding spots.

Cardinal Tetra care: https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/paracheirodon-axelrodi/

According to Seriously Fish.com...
Temperature: 23 – 29 °C

pH: 3.5 – 7.5 although wild specimens do best in more acidic conditions.

Hardness: 18 – 215 ppm; towards the lower end of this range for wild fish or breeding.

You will have to ask @Byron for any other extra information. IMO putting all of those fish in that small of a tank would be bad for their health. Try to look into getting a 20g long. There a lot more possibilities. :)

I would be more concerned about the species rather than numbers here. Serpae Tetra are prone to fin nip each other and other species unless they have more space and a much larger group. Minimum for this species is around 10-12 in a 30g tank, with just these fish.

On the tank, I take it this is the standard 20 gallon with dimensions of 24 by 12 inches (length and width). The cardinals are OK, the cories with more of them (7-9) are OK (you can mix cory species, up to you, but the more the better and here you have space for the larger group which will make them much happier).

the GH range is quite extensive, 100 to 200 ppm. Can you pin this down a bit? If it is close to the 100 ppm your options are easier.

That is almost over stocking as it is.

A 20g high tank is the same exact footprint of a 10g tank. I know that the 2 first species need to have a 20 gallon long tank. Cory cats need to be in groups of 6+.

Back to the Serpa Tetras, They prefer water temperatures ranging from 72–79 °F (22–26 °C). They will live better and show off their best colors in soft, neutral to slightly acidic water. As with any other schooling fish, they thrive in large groups and should be kept in schools of at least six fish. The tank should also be well-planted, providing shelter and hiding spots.

Cardinal Tetra care: https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/paracheirodon-axelrodi/

According to Seriously Fish.com...
Temperature: 23 – 29 °C

pH: 3.5 – 7.5 although wild specimens do best in more acidic conditions.

Hardness: 18 – 215 ppm; towards the lower end of this range for wild fish or breeding.

You will have to ask @Byron for any other extra information. IMO putting all of those fish in that small of a tank would be bad for their health. Try to look into getting a 20g long. There a lot more possibilities. :)
Would Pigmy Corys work in my tank

We need to pin down the GH as @Byron has suggested. If it is 200ppm the water is not suitable for cories or tetras. At 100ppm they would be ok so lets get the actual number.

Most reactions

trending

Back