20 Gal Freshwater to driftwood or not...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Chris1075

Reaction score
Hello all...

I am just seeking some information and comments about expanding my aquarium. As my post say's, I have a 20 gallon freshwater tank, with some java fern, money wart, cabomba for plants. I have 3 bleeding heart tetra's 3 golden long tail tetra's and 3 turquoise guppies. 1 golden mystery snail and 1 red clawed crab.

I was told that the crab need to be out of the water at times and that driftwood would be a good choice. Hence the reason I am looking into getting some driftwood. (the plants I have would also like the drift wood)

I have read posts from here and other sites that it tends to leave the water a brownish colour. The pictures I have seen have shown both clear water and brown water. So it leaves me to question, are the pictures I have seen with clear water real driftwood or some type of resin. Or are they real driftwood in a tank with someone who is experienced with driftwood and keeping the water clear. ( my hope is the later and is willing to pass on that knowledge to me)

Also which driftwood would be the better to purchase. African Mopani or Malaysian.

Thanks

All new bog wood will leach tannins ( thats the brown water ) this is actually good for the fish, I use Indian Almond leaf Adler cones and peat moss to make my water go yellow, Its called black water.

Some people boil drift wood to get rid of the tannins I find this a waste of good tannins,

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back