20 Gal- 40 Gal Tanks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GriffinC18

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So i have been looking for a 20-40 gallon tanks, for a decent price. I have yet to really find what i am looking for, so i thought why not ask the people who own fish?

It can be a setup (one that includes the filter and heater in box) if the price is decent.

or just the aquarium that you have to buy filter and heater separate. 

I need to get a bigger, upgraded tank so i don't overcrowd the others, I will make sure to cycle this one properly :)

Thanks

Well what pet stores are near you? What is your budget like? Have you checked craigslist, ebay, and garage sales?

If you have chain stores around you, I think today is the last day for dollar per gallon tanks at petco. It is just the tank but you can get a filter free with a mail in rebate.

Otherwise, kits can be a pretty good deal. It is always a good idea to either get an additional filter or upgrade the filter included, but if you want brand new, you can get 29 gallons at a decent price.

I really suggest you look for used tanks though. You have to work through the super overpriced tanks, but you can find some good deals. Look for people who are moving soon. They will usually sell for cheaper. People who totally lost interest will sell for cheap too. If the tank is still running while the people try to sell it, then you are likely to pay a lot more.

Petsmart is where i mainly get supplies  and stuff. 

I think i do have a petco somewhere around here, might have to check that out, are you saying ordering it? how do you get the free filter?

maximum price is about $50 for everything. Is that to little?

Are craigslist and ebay reliable? will they ship it to you without it getting broken? have you tried them?

I bought my first tank from LFS, with full set up, was ok, not the cheapest way of doing things. And generally these set up don't usually have the best filter or equip included, best to upgrade as Attibones already mentioned.

Now, I wont buy a brand new set up, much preferring to buy from Ebay or from classifieds etc, as long as the tank has been decently looked after, no deep scratches or cracks, some do sell tank equip as well with the tanks, sometimes bargains are to be had, just keep an eye out and be patient :)

As mentioned already, I have bought from Ebay, quite a few times now, generally tanks are best collected in person as the cost of shipping a tank is pretty expensive due to weight and being a fragile item amy not arrive in one piece, this does depend on seller of course. 

A standard 20 - 40 gal tank are pretty common and prices tend to be favourable, do have a look around to get idea of decent prices and what to look for.  

Okay i'll look on ebay! thanks for the responses!

So i looked on ebay for a little bit and i see that as you said they are local pickup......they are in NY, NH, CA, places like that

i have yet to find one of any size near me, but i will keep looking.

I have a similar problem as I'm from a very pet unfriendly state. That's why I have to really scrape aroun on tw web for good deals and typically end up buying new set ups on sale at the LFS. IF you are willing to travel, you might find some good deals in the areas around your state.

attibones said:
Well what pet stores are near you? What is your budget like? Have you checked craigslist, ebay, and garage sales?

If you have chain stores around you, I think today is the last day for dollar per gallon tanks at petco. It is just the tank but you can get a filter free with a mail in rebate.

Otherwise, kits can be a pretty good deal. It is always a good idea to either get an additional filter or upgrade the filter included, but if you want brand new, you can get 29 gallons at a decent price.

I really suggest you look for used tanks though. You have to work through the super overpriced tanks, but you can find some good deals. Look for people who are moving soon. They will usually sell for cheaper. People who totally lost interest will sell for cheap too. If the tank is still running while the people try to sell it, then you are likely to pay a lot more.
NO!!!!!! I was going to take my daughter out today and find a 20 long for cheap lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back