2 Worrisome Problems

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fry_forever!

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey guys. About a month ago, my kribs had 30 fry, and they have been free-swimming for 3 weeks now. I noticed today something odd, however - a few of the fry have REALLY bluged out mouths, to the point where they can't even close them. It looks like something it stuck inside, something whitish-yellow. The fry are still eating, (a solid diet of microworms and crushed flake food) but I even saw one do this weird roll in the water and start swimming normaly again. What could be wrong?

As for the parents, I noticed that the mom's egg tube is out again, and the pair is courting, the female cleaning out a coconut cave. They are starting to ignore their first brood more and more often, and a couple were even chased away and nipped at. Why are they showing signs like this after pretty much just having a brood?

Thanks in advance for any help,
f_f!

In nature, it is much more common for youngsters to be abandonned by the parents than the opposite, as at some point the youngsters become competing animals wanting the same food requirements and shelter. Us humans go against the grain on this, as do the Tanganyikan rock cave dwelling Jullichromis Dickfeldi, where numerous generations work together to protect and feed the current youngest generation in the community ;)

(Dickfeldi was on my "shopping list" IF I went for a rift valley biotope)

Thank you. Do you know what could be wrong with the krib fry with the bloated mouths? They are still eating and producing waste, but it looks like they're in pain or at least uncomfortable.

And what's a good time to move the fry to their own grow out tank?

Thanks,
-f_f!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back