2 questions here......how long to let water sit

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

silver

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Alright,
I have no occupants in my 10 gallon hospital tank as of now......YAY!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I filled the water up to the brim and turned the temp WAY up.....it's in the 90s F. Now, will that suffice in killing off any illness that would be in there...........because I'd like to get some guppys and I have learned by FAR the hard way that you MUST quarantine new fish....it is an absolute MUST!!!!! I would like to use this 10 gallon hospital tank as a quarantine tank as well........do you think having had the temp up that high would kill any nasties in there??? :sick: -_- :unsure: I had my fungused fish in there and MAYBE white spot........still not sure if that's what it was or not!! :dunno:

Also,
How long do you have to let water sit out before you can add it safely to your tank......I'm out of de-chlorinator and need to do my 20 gallon!! :*)

A high temp may or may not do the trick. Personally, in any tank used as a hospital tank I would break it down and clean it with a dilutted bleach solution and rinse the heck out of it. Why risk reintroducing disease to your now healthy fish?

Generally, letting water sit at elast 24 hours removes chlorine. Letting it sit and using an airstone is even faster. However, as was said chloramines will not be removed no matter how long you let the water sit. If you are sure your local water treatment plant does not use chloramines, then 24 hours should be fine.

\Dan

Hmmmmmm, I suppose you are right about the bleach.....it's just that I've used it before and it seems to kill off a lot of the beneficial bacteria and that is something I don't have a lot of in that tank!!!

I would have to throw the media out and clean the filter too.......all the gravel and ornaments etc!.........

:blink: DARN..................stupid disease!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that's the thing with bleach, it will kill everything, even the good stuff. But in the end, killing everything and having to start over or seed from another healthy tank is a better option than lingering disease. Personally I think it makes more sense to try and have a hospital tank (for sick fish) and a seperate quarantine tank (for new arrivals). And seperate sets of equipment for each. Of course, this is in a prefect world where we can afford all that. I just feel it isn't worth the risk, though I know there ae people who use the same tank as a hospital and a QT and they seem to have no problems.

\Dan

Also, I would imagine you could soak the gravel in bleach solution, then rinse it really well. I don't think you would have to throw it away.

True! :-( :nod:

cation> but it would still kill the good bacteria...so it would be as if I did just throw it out and bought new..... :crazy:

Well......the temp has been up in the mid 90s for a week now so I am going to try it out........ :X DON'T KILL ME!!!!!!!!!! :no: :*)

I brought the temp down to 78 today and did a water change (currently it only had snails and since the temp was at 95 they were hanging out on the lid :lol: ) and I bought 3 male guppys!!!!! MY FIRST GUPPYS YAY!!!!!
I am floating them as we speak and I will see how they do over the next few weeks!!

:D

silver said:
cation> but it would still kill the good bacteria...so it would be as if I did just throw it out and bought new..... :crazy:
Oh yeah, that's true. I was thinking more along the $ lines with that selection - If you can safely clean it, and not buy new, you'll have more money left over for fish! :p

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back