2 Questions For Coldwater Tank - Lights And Snail Eggs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DannyC85

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm just looking for information, suggestions and knowledge regarding the lights for my tank and snails eggs

First off the lights -

I have a 90l tank with cold water fish, some comets, danios, orandas, and an orphaned goldfish I took off someone who had it in a tank about the size of a coke can, anyway, what I want to know is, what is the best kind of light for my tank, plants fish etc. The fitted light is an
"Arcadia FO15 Original Tropical 18" Aquarium Fluorescent Lamp" I know, I originally intended to have a tropical set up, but since every heater I bought, three in total, all didn't work I got fed up and opted for a coldwater tank instead. I've noticed the trend for LED lights now particularly the blue ones, except I cant seem to find info on what lights are best for what type of tanks, fish, plants etc, so would I be better off upgrading to an LED strip, if so what is best, or sticking with what I have? The problem I have is not with sufficient energy the light supplies, all the plants I buy seem to thrive off it and all the fish seem happy when the light is switched on too, the thing is the brightness, I have had the tank for just over 12 months now and keep the light tube and the hood reflector clean as new, but it just doesn't seem to be very bright, is the brightness limited to the size of the tube? also I have changed the backing to a dark wood and rocks type picture, I thought this might have some influence on it, but to be honest just haven't been bothered to change it back to the blue side yet ("Being entirely honest with oneself is a good exercise" - I agree) anyway that's enough of the lights. Cant seem to find any info on what lights are best for coldwater tanks anywhere, even on the world wide web??!!

The second issue I have is my snails -

I have 2, but in the past have had many more, Horned Nerite snails, 1 is relatively new to the tank about 2 months, and the other is a veteran one of the very first I introduced close to a year ago, though not of the larger species of snails, they do have really aesthetic shell patterns, their short livelihood being their only downfall, hence only 2 left. About 2-3 weeks ago I noticed one to be constantly hanging around the front corners of the tank, usually I would always be losing sight of them as they would be off everywhere clearing the algae from the tank, then I noticed what look like eggs or some kind of sacks only in these particular places in the corners on the front of the tank, but nothing has come of the eggs, the only little information I could come across stated that these snails lay eggs that don't hatch and they are notoriously hard to breed so could be empty eggs/sacks?? Compared to pictures of these snails on the net mine look juvenile as the horns are not quite as developed as others I have seen on the internet.

If anyone could share any knowledge on these two issues I would be most grateful as I'am relatively new to the fish keeping hobby, this is my first tank/community. as I bought a tank optimised for a tropical set up I studied a vast amount on tropical fish, only for the heaters to not work so I set up coldwater fish, I did read up on the basics before setting everything up, but this information I'm after is proving hard to come by which is why I have decided to consult the aquatic community, now at the fear of this post turning into a novel I shall end it with a big thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this. Thanks. Dan.

P.S. please dont reply with things I don't want or need to hear such as the tank is too small for the fish etc, I'am aware of this and in the process of purchasing a new tank in excess of 100l so don't worry anyone all will be fine. And even though I'am going to change the tank I would still like to know about the lights.

P.S. please dont reply with things I don't want or need to hear such as the tank is too small for the fish etc, I'am aware of this and in the process of purchasing a new tank in excess of 100l so don't worry anyone all will be fine. And even though I'am going to change the tank I would still like to know about the lights.

Hey there,
Firstly, that paragraph there made me instantly like you. Well done and congrats.

In terms of the lights, it's entirely up to you.
There are hundreds of different types and brands of bulbs out there. Usually to appreciate a goldfish tank or atleast a tank with lots of red hues in it, I'd recommend a bulb with either a Kelvin of 5-6K or 16K.
If that goes over your head slightly, just let me know and I'll post a bit more about bulbs and colour Kelvin.

Basically, golden rule, as long as it's the same wattage and same length as the one you have, go mad with colours. Perhaps spend a few £ on ebay and get some cheap second hand ones to see which colours you prefer.

As far as LEDs go, yes, they are the future of aquarium lights, but a lot of companies are now selling conversion kits, and a lot of new tanks are coming with LEDs built in. Rather than convert your current tank, I'd say wait and buy a new one with LEDs in.

You mentioned the light seems dim? Is this a recent thing or has it always been? Reason I ask is that bulbs will break down and dim over time and you may just need a new bulb. Also, from memory, the bulb you have may have a pink tint to it, this pink tint can sometimes take away from looking like it's bright as its not all on a wavelength designed for human sight (hence why your plants thrive on it). If you want something that looks brighter, get a warm white or a cool white bulb, (actual colour names there apparently).

Snails:
Nerites in general will not breed in freshwater, they need brackish for the eggs to develop. This will not, however, discourage the little buggers from breeding and laying eggs everywhere. The only harm this does is ruin the aesthetics of your nice clean glass. It's actually the primary reason I don't keep Nerite Snails, regardless of species.

Hope that helps and I'm sorry no one has gotten back to you sooner.

Thanks for the reply, and thanks for the liking, I hate to have to say something like that but you know what the internet is like lol.

Anyway I have been looking into what lights to get, I'm going to keep the light that is already installed and add some LED strips. Thanks for all the info, and regarding my horned nerite snails, I just went to clean the filter out before and noticed I now have 2 baby snails happily trudging around the tank hopefully some of the other eggs will produce some more babies.

Thanks again for the time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back