2 New Gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wow, that tank is severly over stocked, goldies and trops... not a good mix

gold fish will tolerate temps such as 20oC (sub tropical) any higher and as mentioned the metabolism slows down.

all those gouramis will be at each others throats,

test your water and i bet your ammonia is sky high, goldies produce alot of waste!!
and for you to say ' you dont care' on an opinion based forum, that just goes to show

as many others have said

start over! and do some research!

Yeh, i think personally starting again or taking the:

2 dwarf gouramis
all the goldfish
the mollies

then see what you are left with. i think some fish you have got right, like the guppies would be suitable, the tetras that i believe you have, what else doyou have and what tank size is it?

thanks x and please if you REALLY care for your fish then i would do this, as your fish will suffer, just because you dont want to do it cos you dont care what we think..if thats what you think then i dont believe fish keeping is for you, if you dont understand fishes wellfair. :no:

always feel free to pm any of us for help x

thanks x

ps i do apolagise again sarah, as i had no idea how overstocked he was :blush: x

Nice gouramis and i'm afraid i'll have to agree with everyone else.

2 males can live together depending on their personality so you just can't assume they're going to fight.

In such a small tank, there is a very high chance that the males will fight.
If the tank was 3ft+ and heavily planted, then two males may not be so bad.
The tank is too small and not enough room to create their own territories.
Whilst Honey Gouramies are fine in a group with more than one male, the same can not always be said for the Dwarf variety.

Well i've never had the dwarf veriety. So go with Stang on this one.

I'm only experienced with pearls, honeys and opalines.

2 male gourami in that size tank will fight. They are territorial fish.
Goldfish are coldwater and should never be kept in a tropical tank..........it messes with their metabolic system which is cruel and they are too big for that tank. Would you keep a large dog in a cat travel box? NO..................Much the same as what you are putting those poor fish through though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You might not care, but we keep fish as we enjoy the hobby and want to make better lives for fish, when people like you come along asking for help and reply with that kind of remark its like sticking two fingers up ....................................so why even ask in the first place.

The gouramis will fight, and i speak from personal experience as i attempted to keep two males in a 10 gallon afew years back, it ended in fighting and one male dying from the stress. Also dwarfs are very prone to bacterial infections, and stress will only cause them to become more likley to get them.

With regards to the goldfish, well they shouldnt really be kept in tropical temps. Yes, it can be done, at the fish's expense as it is a coldwater fish. Also they grow huge and will be stunted in a tank of that size. I would advise you to rehome the goldfish.

I have a question that relates to the goldfish: Don't certain types of fish (for example, goldfish) produce chemicals that stunt their own growth in a small tank/pond/body of water? Wouldn't that be the carp's natural defense against becoming too large for their home? then, following from that, the fish wouldn't be suffering. I'm not trying to take sides in this, I'm just pretty sure that it's not harming the fish if it's not growing to its full size. anyway, goldfish get HUGE, so that probably shouldn't be aquarium fish if we want them to reach full mature size.
Also, my pond gets fairly warm in the summer, and my goldfish happily breed and play. They're so hardy! Goldfish are amazing!

Goldfish, especially fancy goldfish, do often get raised in warm tanks - but not so warm as to be considered tropical. The reason that this is done is partly precisely because, being cold-blooded, fish have a higher metabolic rate at higher temperatures since reactions involved in metabolism (i.e. during respiration - the process that ultimately converts food to energy) go faster and, as a consequence, they grow faster.
This means several things - first of all, it means they would live shorter lives (remember that 20 years is pretty normal for a healthy goldfish!).
They also produce far more waste - as major poop machines, goldfish are already problematic in this respect - but this impacts on any other fish living with them and tropicals, because they have evolved to live in warm conditions anyway, are not affected like goldfish and so are used to far lower levels of waste. Keeping goldfish with tropicals is therefore bad for the tropicals as well.
The final issue is the one alluded to by the above poster. Just because a species has evolved a particular defence mechanism, doesn't mean the impact of using that defence is necessarily positive for the individual (extreme example would be a bee dying after stinging an enemy, less extreme is the increased likelihood of death after a lizard detaches its tail when attacked to distract the predator). Yes, many species of fish that live in bodies of water that vary in volume have the mechanism described (they release hormones which slow growth) to keep them from growing rapidly under poor conditions. However, in the wild, this would not be a permanent situation. Their ability to do this also doesn't mean it's not harmful in the long term (shorter lifespan and stress which makes them more prone to disease). Not to mention that fancy goldfish are not wild - they have been domesticated for a long time and, over this period, raising them in large ponds was the most common practice. They are not built to deal with 10 gallon tanks.
Finally, I'd like to point out that the hormones would only remain in the water in the first place if it isn't changes. In a lake, that's not an issue. In a small tank that is also severely overstocked AND at a higher temperature (high temperatures are also an issue in terms of the amount of dissolved oxygen BTW which correlates inversely meaning that it is worse overstocking tropical tanks for yet another reason) you have the need for more regular water changes. If you keep up with these, the fish will not be stunted anyway and you'll have the other problem - 10" goldfish that can't turn around in their own home. It's a catch 22 - the only humane option is to re-home them.

edit: and to the above poster, have you actually looked at your pond's temp in the summer? I don't know how warm it gets where you live but water has a very high specific heat capacity and does not increase in temperature as much as you'd think - a heated tank is very different.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back