2.5 Months in

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mrs.Adams91

Reaction score
Here's what I have 2.5 months in, current set up is a 5.5 gallon. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 20200605_112653.jpg
    20200605_112653.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 593
  • 20200605_112639.jpg
    20200605_112639.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
  • 20200605_134128.jpg
    20200605_134128.jpg
    641.7 KB · Views: 87
Nice tank, but the pleco needs to go. 5.5 gallons is far too small for a pleco as they do grow quite big. Also personally I think 5.5 gallons is too small for platys too. But other than the stocking issues your tank looks nice ^_^

Looking good!

As a note to everyone: The OP has already been talked to about the 5.5g tank not being enough space for a common pleco. She has said that she will upgrade to a bigger tank, when the time comes.

Looks nice :)

Yes, the platies need a 20g tank minimum. The pleco was likely identified as a common in the other thread, so it needs to go ASAP.

I know the next comment that will be made, so allow me to answer it before it appears. The fish are not "OK" now. The relationship of fish to their aquatic environment is extremely complex and much more so than that of any terrestrial animal. The limited size of any aquarium has serious impacts for the water chemistry and the biological system. Yes, two smallish platies don't seem like much in a 5.5 gallon tank, but the impact of this tank on them is profound. If a 20g tank is acquired next week, fine. But plans may change, that larger tank we think we're going to get may not materialize...and the fish are the losers.

I learned a wise maxim many years ago, and I have undoubtedly saved many fish from stress and early death by following it to the letter. Never acquire a fish for which you do not now at the time of acquisition have the necessary aquarium in operation that will accommodate the fish throughout its life. Fish grow continually, and their internal development is subject to their external environment. We cannot shape nature to our ideas, it just doesn't work that way. :fish:

Nice looking tank but I agree with the above comments. I would suggest a betta and a snail for a tank your size depending on what type of water you have (hard or soft) You could also look at some shrimp.

Yes, the platies need a 20g tank minimum. The pleco was likely identified as a common in the other thread, so it needs to go ASAP.

I know the next comment that will be made, so allow me to answer it before it appears. The fish are not "OK" now. The relationship of fish to their aquatic environment is extremely complex and much more so than that of any terrestrial animal. The limited size of any aquarium has serious impacts for the water chemistry and the biological system. Yes, two smallish platies don't seem like much in a 5.5 gallon tank, but the impact of this tank on them is profound. If a 20g tank is acquired next week, fine. But plans may change, that larger tank we think we're going to get may not materialize...and the fish are the losers.

I learned a wise maxim many years ago, and I have undoubtedly saved many fish from stress and early death by following it to the letter. Never acquire a fish for which you do not now at the time of acquisition have the necessary aquarium in operation that will accommodate the fish throughout its life. Fish grow continually, and their internal development is subject to their external environment. We cannot shape nature to our ideas, it just doesn't work that way. :fish:
Thanks for your opinion Byron, noted.

Honestly, you should have seem where I got them from the 5.5 is an upgrade for now and you can't change my mind, but thanks anyway

Try and do weekly water changes of at least 50% to help keep your fish healthy. Also do you know if your tank is cycled?
I cycled my tank for almost a month before i put fish in I check my water daily. Haven't done a water change since I put them in 2.5 weeks ago and they seem perfect. I planned on doing a 75 percent water change at the one month mark take everything out scrub it and vaccum my gravel

You have to make sure you do not kill off your good bacteria when you do a big cleaning like that. I would also suggest buying some live plants. They help with your water quality and absorb ammonia. They also add oxygen to the water. Many are easy to care for and you do not need soil to plant many of them. Hope you will reconsider doing weekly water changes. Good luck.

You have to make sure you do not kill off your good bacteria when you do a big cleaning like that. I would also suggest buying some live plants. They help with your water quality and absorb ammonia. They also add oxygen to the water. Many are easy to care for and you do not need soil to plant many of them. Hope you will reconsider doing weekly water changes. Good luck.
This isn't my first rodeo... but thanks

I like your tank, but I admit I don't like the stocking.

If you have a common pleco, I do not want to be rude or pushy, but I would rehome it or get an appropriate environment immediately. Personally I think the time has already come for an upgrade, not in like 2 months or something. I also think the tank is too small for platys, especially since I notice you seem to have a female meaning the tank may have more than 2 sooner or later. If not I recommend weekly water changes I guess.
Of course, this is your decision. Good luck!

Guys..... read my post. ^
As a note to everyone: The OP has already been talked to about the 5.5g tank not being enough space for a common pleco. She has said that she will upgrade to a bigger tank, when the time comes.
Its already been explained to her.

I love all the positive comments around here... makes a gal want to stay, ask questions, etc. in an environment where she wont be judged so harshly on her first day....

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back