2.5 Gallon Scud Jar

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
They are very nice looking! I might have to get ahold of some for one of my tanks.

They are very nice looking! I might have to get ahold of some for one of my tanks.
I think I may get some for my 20H, but I'm unsure if they'll just become an expensive meal...

I'm not familiar with the species. I do have a couple of cherry shrimp in there, though.
they are pretty much just different colors it just sounds funny cos some neo shrimps are named but many arent

i guess you can but if you already have red shrimps they will create weird purple or brown hybrids

they are pretty much just different colors it just sounds funny cos some neo shrimps are named but many arent

i guess you can but if you already have red shrimps they will create weird purple or brown hybrids
That makes sense. I have been looking at starting some greens or yellows. Maybe I will move my reds back tot he main tank and get another color.

The first pic. Empty jar, small table, put up a background sheet.
Did you put an air bubble think in it. I have a large jar that I was going to have my youngest granddaughter make a terrarium for an African violet and a little fern. she might enjoy doing a scud jug. Very cool idea.

Did you put an air bubble think in it. I have a large jar that I was going to have my youngest granddaughter make a terrarium for an African violet and a little fern. she might enjoy doing a scud jug. Very cool idea.
I used nothing other than plants, rocks, and sand. No bubbler, filter, or heater. It stays about 68 - 73 F in my apartment most days.

Mixing the colours of red and blue won't sadly, get you purple shrimp. It doesn't work like that.
However, you're right in that mixing neocaridina coloured shrimp will result in the young starting to revert back to their original brown colouration.
(What's the betting that 'chocolate' or 'nut brown' shrimp will soon be appearing in a petshop near you? ;) )

Apparently, mixing coloured shrimp may also produce some 'sports'.

If you want a variety of shrimp, there are actually quite a few to choose from and these won't interbreed;
Caridina, such as Amano Shrimp.
Neocaridina, such as the many coloured varieties; Red Cherry, Blue Velvet, Yellow Fire, Rili, etc..
Palaemonetes paludosus, or Ghost/Glass Shrimp.
Wood, or Bamboo Shrimp...large filter feeders.

Mixing the colours of red and blue won't sadly, get you purple shrimp. It doesn't work like that.
However, you're right in that mixing neocaridina coloured shrimp will result in the young starting to revert back to their original brown colouration.
(What's the betting that 'chocolate' or 'nut brown' shrimp will soon be appearing in a petshop near you? ;) )

Apparently, mixing coloured shrimp may also produce some 'sports'.

If you want a variety of shrimp, there are actually quite a few to choose from and these won't interbreed;
Caridina, such as Amano Shrimp.
Neocaridina, such as the many coloured varieties; Red Cherry, Blue Velvet, Yellow Fire, Rili, etc..
Palaemonetes paludosus, or Ghost/Glass Shrimp.
Wood, or Bamboo Shrimp...large filter feeders.
red fire is neo right?
i kind of want a brown shrimp idk
i am planning on getting

some amanos
lots o red fire
1-3 bamboo shrimps

red fire is neo right?
Yes.
i kind of want a brown shrimp idk
Afaik...these are not available...though they must be, some where, so the breeders can create their coloured strains.
Of course, if you got successful interbreeding your coloured strains, they would eventually revert back to their natural brown colouration.

Yes.

Afaik...these are not available...though they must be, some where, so the breeders can create their coloured strains.
Of course, if you got successful interbreeding your coloured strains, they would eventually revert back to their natural brown colouration.
alright! time to get my $25 each king kong shrimp and breed it with a $3 red fire to make it back to the wild coloring!

jk i dont have any shrimp as of now

LOL

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back