The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wonderboy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Figured I'd keep track of the progress!

I actually set this up last week, but here is how it looks now:

Plants: There's glosso in front, java fern on the twig, four-leaf clover in the back, and java moss hiding behind the rock wall.
CO2: 3 Nutrafin units T-lined together into the filter intake (30 ppm!)
Lighting: 36 watts
Substrate: Flourite Red
Fert: 2 gravel tab supplements, and several Flourish liquid products

Side view for you (viewable equipment):
25setupsideshotln3.jpg

Ruler in front to show size of everything:
25setuphv3.jpg

Frontal shot:
25frontalkt4.jpg

The riccia in this tank were little patches the size of my fingernail that I tied to little flat stones, and they're pealing:
ricciapearlinglx3.jpg

Comments/suggestions greatly welcome!

~ Wonderboy!

That is a very nice looking set up you have there and it should bring you great success. Personally, I am not too sure of the look of the substrate. Something finer would give a better appearance.

Have you considered changing filtration? A HOB will drive off a lot of CO2, although you certainly appear to have plenty going in. The Eden 501 looks like a good choice for nano tanks, although I have never used one myself.

You might also want to consider chucking in some fast growers on a temporary basis, just to help keep early algae issues manageable.

Nevertheless, that is a sweet little set up and I am jealous!

Yeh is looking nice :)

Re the substrate, I will add a second vote for changing it, the glosso in particular will not do well in that substrate.

Sam

I third the substrate recommendation. That looks absolutely huge! The flourite I had didn't looks so big! I also second Dave's weed adding suggestion, a good idea to avoid algae issues.

I personally haven't had problems with HOB filters driving off too much CO2. I just fill up the tank more to keep surface agitation to a minimum and you should be fine. You can even maintain over 30ppm with two HOB filters.

So far, though, it's a cute little nano, and you've got a potentially sweet setup there.

llj

Looking at it again, I really like the rocks and their layout :)

Sam

Thanks for the compliments!
And thanks for the suggestions!

Ok, I fourth the substrate then, but which substrate would you suggest? I think I will put in some kind of fast grower (rotala perhaps?), as there is a very small amount of hair algae within the gravel, but, otherwise, the amanos (4 of 'em) seem to be doing a pretty good job.... The filtration is working pretty good for me - not to mention that I think the surface distruption is beneficial because of the amount of CO2 going into the tank - for 5 days now, the CO2 has held at 30 ppm!

~ Wonderboy!

Why not try eco-complete or ADA soil, given its a small tank it wouldn't cost a fortune and the plants would very much appreciate it.

Sam

Well - I can get eco-complete for $15, so I might go that route. Is there a way to get just the needed amount of ADA substrate (6 x 12 area), and how much would that cost??

~ Brant

Got the makings of a nice tank but i would also change the substrate, are 3 c02 kits a bit of overkill?

Dont think you can buy ADA AS by the KG, like most its per bag. But the EC sounds like a bargain so get that :)

Sam

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back