1st Time Freshwater Sump Design (feedback, please!)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I ain't no artist but something like this

also make sure you have a siphon breaker on the return pipe, this is usually a hole just below the water line. not having on of the can almost empty your tank.

also for the freshwater reservoir you need to think about siphoning on that as well, if you put the hose under the sump water it could empty back into the reservoir are and vice versa , best way is have end of hose above the water and have the hose held up high so breaks that effect

Attachments

• sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 142
p.s. used to hate socks on the marine tank, needed to change every 3 or 4 days, mind you fine filter floss is no better :)

p.s. used to hate socks on the marine tank, needed to change every 3 or 4 days, mind you fine filter floss is no better :)

I been discussing that with another person, my filter pad only last a few day, not sure if it's that much different than a sock. I did order 4 socks, will have 2 sets. I figure the sock may be easier to clean than the filter pads.

I know the socks will overflow in my system once in awhile, that's why I am thinking about a backup foam block in the prefilter section.

Used to have 4 sets, still seemed to always washing them

Turn them inside out then thrown in washer. Put on 60 degree wash. Some ppl use a small amount of bleach but what is my small amount is too big???? Too much bleach?

Also the micron size makes a difference to how it takes them to clog up

Used to have 4 sets, still seemed to always washing them
Someone suggested an idea to me, just run your main siphon into the fluidized bed section of the filter. The filter media will grind up and break down any material (including small fish) dumped into the filter.

• Use the head pressure from the main siphon line to create the required water currents to fluidized the media bed. If needed, add air stones near the return pipes
  • You will see an increase in nitrates but proper water changes solves this problem
  • Rig up a sock holder for the emergency drain line, turn down/off the main siphon line using the gate value after a big tank cleaning for a few hours and let sock do it's work.
  • For cleaning, remove some of the filter media and drain the sump. Use a shop vac to clean the bottom of the sump.
  • The post-filter socks can be install in the water return section if needed. This would reduce the number of walls needed in a sump.
Comments?

That sounds like good idea

You would more water movement against the k1, may still need a small power head in there

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back