18gal(70L) stocking advice

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

QiQi

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I got an 18gal(70L) tank with 100+cherry shrimp( 10-12 pregos), a betta and 6 nerite snails. I was planning on getting some nano fish 5-6 ottos/pygmy corys and/or 5-6 endlers/chilli rasboras/galaxy rasboras ( haven't decided which of these yet but I am going for very small fish).
I went to AqAdvisor and when I put 100 shrimp, 1 betta, 6 galaxy rasboras, 6 otos, 6 nerite snails the stocking is at 115%. When I remove the shrimp from the list the stocking goes down to 84%. As far as I know, the shrimp's bioload is quite small, any idea why there is a 31% difference based on the website?
I just want to make sure before I purchase any fish. The current setup with just the shrimp, betta and snails shows as 73% on stocking on the AqAdvisor. The tank is planted (not heavily but stems keep growing like crazy so I trim and replant them) and I do weekly water changes.

i do not think endlers, rasboras will go good with betta... they need different ph and hardness and will be very weak if you keep them in a standard low ph betta tank. well 100 shrimp is surely a lot so it should make a difference...

I have 7.0-72. ph and 7 GH (I remineralize RO water since the local tap water has around 40ppm nitrates and around 16 GH). This was just an idea of what I would like in there but not a definite decision. I also have a big sponge filter that is meant to be for 52gals. Any other fish suggestions that would work with my setup?

I have 7.0-72. ph and 7 GH (I remineralize RO water since the local tap water has around 40ppm nitrates and around 16 GH). This was just an idea of what I would like in there but not a definite decision. I also have a big sponge filter that is meant to be for 52gals. Any other fish suggestions that would work with my setup?
your betta is fine, may be a tad bit high, tetras?

Your GH of 7 is suitable for soft water fish.
All your fish are ok except the Endler(similar to Guppy) which require hard water.
Endler requires GH above 15.

You can keep most of the fish except Betta which is not suitable to be with small fish or shrimps.
It will eat the shrimplets or kill the shrimps and may kill the small Rasboras(Chili and Galaxy) if it can catch them.

If you keep Chili Rasboras, it will be better and nicer to have a big group of them(at least 10-20).

Galaxy Rasboras are not hardy. You might want to consider this carefully.
I saw many of them died in our local fish stores.

Shrimps can breed fast.
I think you can start with about 30-50 as their population will increase later.
Add slowly especially for shrimps as they are sensitive.
You might want to wait 2months later before adding the shrimps.
Wait for the tank to stabilize and to have enough algae.

To keep Otto, you need a tank that has a lot of algae.
You may need to wait 2-3 months when your tank is full of algae before adding them.

shrimp in small number have 0 bioloads on the tank since they poop so little, but with 100+ then the bioload is quite considerable so it might be the reason for such an increment

I might get 6 ember tetras based on the suggestions above and see how my water parameters handle the situation. I will add fish slowly.
At the moment I do weekly 20% water changes but honestly, I do it mostly to replenish minerals. The longest I didn't do a water change is 14 days cause my car had to be serviced and the readings were still 0. I don't have many plants but they are hungry and keep my water clean (I also overfertilize cause they need it), but at this point, I think they lack ammonia and nitrates and not micros so much, I added some of my high nitrate tap water instead of remineralized RO just to help them out :lol: :lol:. At least my plants will be happy with adding more fish in haha!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back